5th gen heat.......

usdm.ehtu

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just wanna know, from those of you who drive your car in winter.... does your heat work well? Here in Canada its been around -40 and the heat on my car isnt that great. Fresh air cycle is crap and recycle is luke warm. In the 4th gen hatch I have it gets nice and hot. I changed thermostat, heater core was cleaned out (have no garage to put in another one and sure as hell dont wanna do it in the cold.) It wasnt clogged or anything to my knowledge but got washed out anyways, rads still good and there a piece of cardboard infront of it so I'm stumped. Could it be that Honda just fked up on the 5th gens heating system?

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Could it be that Honda just fked up on the 5th gens heating system?
Negative, once my car's up to temperature, I have to turn down the heat temp inside the cabin. It literally feels like it could burn the skin off your face.

Jordan_n

No fun unless ur Dragging
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Negative, once my car's up to temperature, I have to turn down the heat temp inside the cabin. It literally feels like it could burn the skin off your face.
thats how my heat is

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
x3

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well where i am and its about 20-30 degrees now my heat gets pretty hot in about 10 mintues, it gets warm enough to be comfortable in about 5.

H22Ej1

5+ Year Member
the heat in my 5th gen is hot as hell, its the heat in my 4th gen that blows

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just wanna know, from those of you who drive your car in winter.... does your heat work well? Here in Canada its been around -40 and the heat on my car isnt that great. Fresh air cycle is crap and recycle is luke warm. In the 4th gen hatch I have it gets nice and hot. I changed thermostat, heater core was cleaned out (have no garage to put in another one and sure as hell dont wanna do it in the cold.) It wasnt clogged or anything to my knowledge but got washed out anyways, rads still good and there a piece of cardboard infront of it so I'm stumped. Could it be that Honda just fked up on the 5th gens heating system?
My moms 5th gen and my brother inlaws old 5th gen was the same way. I just slipped a piece of cardboard in between the radiator and the rad support covering about half of the radiator. This works well as long as you dont forget to take it out when it gets warm out.

usdm.ehtu

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to the guys who said it gets hot in the cabin.... does it maintain that level when it's minus -40 to -45? and on what cycle? fresh or recycle? on days when its -20 ish mine seems to get hot. Other then that its crap and i need my heat cause it gets damn cold.

Rawkout

5+ Year Member
yeah i have to agree with everyone here, 92 ej and it keeps my face toasty warm. i should have mentioned i live in south ontario, so Ive got a pretty dam good idea what freezing your ass off is like lol

usdm.ehtu

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmmm... well I guess cleaning out the heater core didnt do s**t... I'm gonna get one from the wrecker this weekend. Hopefully this solves my prob and no more luk warm air.

fryrice

5+ Year Member
have u check ur radiator fluid to see if u have enough. i had tat happen to me wen my heater was not hot enough and i checked my radiator and there was not enough fluid there.

Rawk

Silver Si
5+ Year Member
i'm out here in canada aswell, winters can get pretty brutal..

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
-40 celcius right?

:rolf:

-40°C = -40°F

@ -40 it's the same

Anyways...My Civic heater would flat cook me out.

But it's never been in negative numbers here...our record is 1°F

Block off part of your radiator with some cardboard....it worked for my ex's Volkswagen diseasel. :bluelol:

killercar

5+ Year Member
i live in timmins and it gets reallly cold up here the heat is ok at -40 in town i turn it down but when i travel on the highway i have to keep it at 4

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe ur blower resistor is bad?? it's behind the glove compartment..might worth the check..
when it get to like 2F with the windchill of -15F..my car doesn't get as hot as i want it to..even with 20mins drive it's still not as hot..even on 4th setting...
rad is full
new honda thermostat
NO air in the system
have not check the resistor yet..soon to..

aNDoNX

5+ Year Member
since i got an air intake it takes a little longer but it heats up in about 10-13

aNDoNX

5+ Year Member
maybe ur blower resistor is bad?? it's behind the glove compartment..might worth the check..
when it get to like 2F with the windchill of -15F..my car doesn't get as hot as i want it to..even with 20mins drive it's still not as hot..even on 4th setting...
rad is full
new honda thermostat
NO air in the system
:word: that's what I was going to say.

Rawk

Silver Si
5+ Year Member
well a while back we had it around -48°C
and my EK heater held up pretty good, just took a little
bit longer to warm up, and that was about it.

usdm.ehtu

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
rad is full
new honda thermostat
NO air in the system
nope, rads full, new thermostat, no air, burped the car, cardboard in front of rad and nothing, blower motor was replaced like 4 months ago and it blew room temp warm in when it was -40 with the old heater core. My beater has about 370 xxx kms on it ( not sure what that would be in miles) so I think it was about time to change it. I grabbed another heater core from the wrecker ( donor car has 190 xxx kms on it ), threw it on and now it flat out blows cold air :x. The donor car was sitting there for maybe a month so in that time I'm guessing heater core developed rust inside. Guess a bran new heater core is the only way to go. Heres the aftermath if anyone wants to see.

Before

After