6th Gen B18 OBD1 swap

AJW

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K, I have got so many different answers from different shops on this it is CRAZY. and it's driving ME CRAZY. I've got a 99 civic si (canadian version so I think in the US it's the EX) which has the SOHC D16 in it. Very very boring. I'm looking at putting in an older OBD1 B18 from an integra. Emissions where I live is not an issue, I can do whatever i want (don't get jealous).

I've called around trying to source an engine the after asking me a bunch of questions a lot of shops told me "no way, you can't put an OBD1 engine into an OBD2 car".

Now to my understanding from researching these boards it is a very straightforward swap. Practically a drop in. To switch the OBD's all I require is the OBD1 ECU and the Skunk2 adaptor harnass for the wiring. Is this not correct?

Sorry if this is a redundant post but I couldn't find anything dealing directly with this situation. I think it's probably because of stricter emissions control in the US and nobody swaps older engines into newer cars.

Also the reason I would want to do an older engine is because there is more of them and they are a lot cheaper, at least where I live.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, it's not exactly a straight forward swap.... but yeah, it's no big deal.
Problem is, in most states here in the U.S. (especially those with emissions restrictions) it's illegal to swap an older model engine into a newer car (has to be same year or newer)... but it still can be done with an ECU wiring adaptor.
Skunk2 are amazingly over priced though.
www.locashracing.com have what you're looking for, and for much cheaper.