7th Gen Civic, any years to avoid?

unclebeets

5+ Year Member
I'm going to be buying my first civic and it will either be a 6th or 7th generation. If I go with the 7th gen it will be between 01-04. Was there any major mechanical issues with any of those years? Engine and tranny are strong on them all? I'm going to be buying a stock low mile car. Anything Honda didn't get quite right on the first gen 7 in 01?

Thanks for all the help.

arod52388

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a 6th gen. way more parts available. i have an 03 and i love it but there are so many more options for the 6th gen and it sometimes makes me wish that i had one.

unclebeets

5+ Year Member
Do you know of anything to avoid on the 7th gen, for example is the 2001 known to have transmission issues since it was the first year for that design?

Hondan.

5+ Year Member
7 gen starts last quarter 2000.
I would suggest you get a younger car.

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can get a 7th gen for $5000...I would say go with it...

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
avoid all of them... buy an em1

they are about 6K these days

there i said it

98ek9b20vtec

5+ Year Member
or you can pick up a nice ek for cheap and all the money you would spend on the other cars you can put into parts

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They like to use 'EK' as a generation code. Which normally means 6th generation civics. Years 96' - 00'.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EK is what idiots call a 6th gen civic. EK is the japanese chassis code, in North America we had the EJ.

Before answering whether you should get a 6th or a 7th gen civic what is your end goal for the car?

unclebeets

5+ Year Member
The end goal is to drive a stock reliable automobile, I'm old I don't want to mod anything, I just want something that's reliable.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get any 7th gen then. I bought an 03 EX sedan for the wife and it has been faultless and gets just a hair under 40mpg despite being an auto.

Exciting? no but it's damned efficient and a careless drive.