94 Civic DX Hesitation in 3rd & 4th gear. Any idears?

symblmusic

Ok here's the deal. I bought a 94 DX about a week ago. High miles (somewhere in the range of 260k), but its a Honda. Not too worried about that. Adult owned, never modified, things of that nature. They didn't take great care of it, but there's really nothing seriously wrong with it either except for the hesitation in 3rd 'n 4th gear. Doesn't do it in any other gears. 1st, 2nd, 5th all gravy. It feels like its spitting, sputtering, whatever you wanna call it. I want this problem gone. I'm testing the O2 sensor, and cleaning the IACV tommorow as well. I've done my searching, and I've gotten some results, but none of the problems mentioned are close enough to mine. I must also mention that I do have blue smoke when I get on it, but only during that time. I'm well aware that my valve cover needs new gaskets, and I'm pretty sure I should do a bit of a head rebuild. If the problem is too serious, I will just swap in a new motor. B series most likely. Didn't want to do that just yet as I've got other things that need taking care of first ( like paying off the loan my father gave me to get the car in the first place :F ) It runs fine other than this problem, but I'd definitely like for it to run better for the time being.

I haven't modified it in any way just yet. Plan to do those after vacation. I have changed the plugs, distributor cap, working on the rotor ( some idiot stripped the screw head ), Oil & Filter, Doin fuel filter tommorow, and I've gutted the cat ( no emissions 'round here, not necessary. Does stink a lil moar now tho :F ) I did notice that the hesitation isn't as bad with the gutted cat. That thing was clogged all to hell anyways. My guess is O2 sensor.

It seems to run a tad lean as well. Smells like it anyways.

Anyone else got idears?

symblmusic

Unplugged the O2 sensor. Doesn't hesitate as bad. Next step is fuel filter 'n IACV.