98 ex. No spark. Please help!!!!

Jlseaton1989

I have a 98 ex 5spd. I just bought this car to do a future build but would like to drive it around a bit to save on diesel. The guy I bought it from said he drove it home one day, went to start it the next day and nothing... He says it has no spark and he’s replaced the distributor, wires, plugs, crank sensor, and ecu. My question is has anyone had this problem and does the ecu have to be flashed for that vin? If it’s a security issue, would the fuel pump run because it does seem to come on with the key on. Thank you.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
The fuel pump should prime when you turn the ignition to 2. You should be able to hear it click and prime. If you aren't hearing anything you might want to look into a main relay as they are know to have issues with higher mileage. I had the same issue with mine when it wouldn't start on hot days. I don't think a 98 Civic has an immobilizer so that shouldn't be the issue.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
A bad main relay can lead to no spark and no fuel. However, it's very uncommon for 6th gen Civics to have a bad main relay despite the fact that the 4th and 5th gen Civic main relays have notoriously bad solder joints.
I had one go bad on my 97 Civic with lesss than 150k miles so I figured I'd offer a suggestion from my past experience.