A Couple of Issues

vic123

5+ Year Member
Hi, I'm having a few problems that I'll try to explain as best as possible.

I recently took the car in for servicing where the rear brakes were replaced. After getting the car back I am noticing some noises. The first one is when I am coming to a stop (and also when I start accelerating from stopped position), I hear this humming/grinding sound. It isn't a solid constant noise but rather it seems like something is rotating and making contact with something else at a certain point. So as my speed increases the noise is shorter in length but increases in frequency until it eventually goes away when I am fully stopped or when a certain speed is reached. This makes me believe that this has something to do with the brakes or something in the wheel area. What makes it even worse is that it doesn't happen all of the time so when I took it to show the mechanic I couldn't get the noise to occur. I actually haven't heard the noise for the past few days but I am still worried because it seems strange that it would just go away.

The other noise is when I am taking my foot off the brake I hear a squeaking noise. I told the mechanic but he said it's a common problem. I don't really find that acceptable as I didn't hear these noises before, so I am wondering what the reason for this noise is so that I can tell him specifically what to do.

The third problem does not have to do with a noise, but rather my check engine light. The light came on so I took it in and the computer showed P1457 EVAP code, which I think is the control canister. Now, a few days earlier my car got hit in the rear driver's side door, which now has to be replaced. I'm wondering if the accident could be a reason for this error code, and if not, how hard is this canister to replace?

One final problem is that when the car is in idle it shakes and feels like it's going to cut out.

Sorry for the long post. I hope everything is clear.

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The third problem does not have to do with a noise, but rather my check engine light. The light came on so I took it in and the computer showed P1457 EVAP code, which I think is the control canister. Now, a few days earlier my car got hit in the rear driver's side door, which now has to be replaced. I'm wondering if the accident could be a reason for this error code, and if not, how hard is this canister to replace?

It is very possible that the accident, disturbed the system in some way... What year is your car??

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I recently took the car in for servicing where the rear brakes were replaced. After getting the car back I am noticing some noises. The first one is when I am coming to a stop (and also when I start accelerating from stopped position), I hear this humming/grinding sound. It isn't a solid constant noise but rather it seems like something is rotating and making contact with something else at a certain point. So as my speed increases the noise is shorter in length but increases in frequency until it eventually goes away when I am fully stopped or when a certain speed is reached. This makes me believe that this has something to do with the brakes or something in the wheel area. What makes it even worse is that it doesn't happen all of the time so when I took it to show the mechanic I couldn't get the noise to occur. I actually haven't heard the noise for the past few days but I am still worried because it seems strange that it would just go away.
Do you have drum brakes in the rear? What was replaced? Do your rear brakes have a lot of rust built up?

Usually, when you take the drum cover off, if there is rust, some of it breaks off and gets wedged inside. After a while, it'll eventually break apart and stop making noise. This has happened to me many times when I've taken my drum covers off.

The other noise is when I am taking my foot off the brake I hear a squeaking noise. I told the mechanic but he said it's a common problem. I don't really find that acceptable as I didn't hear these noises before, so I am wondering what the reason for this noise is so that I can tell him specifically what to do.
My car makes the same noise and it has been for years. I'm not too sure of a solution but I'd like to find out as well.

One final problem is that when the car is in idle it shakes and feels like it's going to cut out.
What does your car idle at? Any check engine lights? How many miles? When was the last time a tune-up was performed?

RonJ

Banned
When the rear brakes are replaced, there are several areas that must be lubricated with grease. Otherwise, there will be a squeaking problem. It's also important to clean the brake dust from the brakes and drums, and to turn the drums if they are not smooth. Sounds to me like the shop did a sloppy job.

Code: Is the gas cap missing or is the cap seal bad?