AC working intermittently

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
I drive an '02 civic ex with the stock engine and everything in the bay. Whenever it gets hot out (80+ degress) I like to turn on my AC. The issue is that it will work for a little bit but then it will start I blow hot air. And if I'm not moving then sometimes the Rpm's will rev up to like 1900 while idling, and the air is still blowing hot, not even remotely cool. My SRS light is on but they can't find the code it's throwing. Could it be something in the AC system? If so what are your guesses? It's going to the shop on Tuesday so I can have it looked it while it's there

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AC an SRS are not related components. SRS is the safety restraint system. If that light is on that means that an airbag is out, the clocking spring is messed up, or an air bag sensor has malfunctioned. Nothing in that system should affect AC and vise-versa.

Take your car in to a shop that specializes in AC and have them check it for leaks and recharge it.

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
I don't know anything about the SRS and the relation to that, so thank you for clarifying for me. I'll have then take a look at it and check for leaks, hopefully that's all it is

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
So I've spent $500 on the AC system and it isn't better it seems. I had the thermo switch(I'll get the exact part name later) replaced and there was condensation in my AC, I don't really remember where. But I had it evacuated and flushed, had it recharged twice with new freon and it is still acting up in the hotter temps. It will idle fine when just sitting there. It was sitting for an hour at the shop, idled fine and blew 41 degrees the whole time. Then it was driven about 250 feet and it blew hot air and idled at around 2500. That's when I got the switch replaced, and it did it again today.

What could it possibly be? I'm out of ideas and sick of spending money on a problem that's not getting fixed, but when it is 96 degrees out so it's a little warm to just bake and sweat in the sun

RonJ

Banned
Back to A/C basics:

When you turn on the A/C, does the condenser fan run?

When the A/C is on but blows warm, is the compressor clutch engaged or disengaged?

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
I'm not sure. Would the fan run after the car is turned off if the compressor is hot enough? I had a 1993 accord for a loaner while my car was gone, and the AC worked great, and when I turned off the car I could hear something running.

The clutch I was told is always engaged, and it always clicks on which is what I assume is the clutch

RonJ

Banned
I'm not sure.
Open the hood. Turn the key to ON(II) [engine off]. Press the A/C button and check whether the condenser fan runs.

The clutch I was told is always engaged, and it always clicks on which is what I assume is the clutch
The compressor clutch engages only when the A/C thermostat plugged into the evaporator registers higher than the set temperature.

Don't rely on what others tell you. Test for yourself. With the engine running, turn on the A/C and watch whether the clutch engages - armature plate in center of compressor pulley spins with the pulley.

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
I did what you said in the first step, and I can hear and see both fans running, and I hear a click as well.

Is it possible that too much coolant in the car may be the problem? It is just barely above the max line when the engine is cool

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it possible that too much coolant in the car may be the problem? It is just barely above the max line when the engine is cool
No. AC and coolant have nothing to do with each other.

RonJ

Banned
Check for A/C clutch engagement when the A/C blows cold versus when it doesn't. Also check whether the condenser fan runs under both conditions. Post the results.

hi octane

Sounds like a faulty compressor clutch. When it's too hot outside, it would either disengage after a while, or not engage at all. The magnet losses efficiency over time.

Get that looked at first before anything else. Gu'luck!

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
I cannot see if the clutch is engaging when it is hot versus when it is cool. But i can see that both of the fans are running, and they are moving a ton of hot air. I can feel the clutch engage for a little bit, but once the engine temp gets to average driving temp for a while, the clutch doesn't seem to be engaging. Could this possibly be a faulty clutch relay? Or would it be the whole clutch itself?

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
Also it was the thermal switch and the thermal protector that were replaced a d that didn't fix the issue

RonJ

Banned
I cannot see if the clutch is engaging when it is hot versus when it is cool.
Why? Help yourself out by putting more effort into gathering and posting valuable diagnostic information that ultimately will help YOU.

If the clutch fails to engage, then the focus should be on the pressure switch, gap between the armature plate and pulley (clutch), and the coil. There are specific tests for each. But we first must know whether or not the clutch engages when the A/C blows warm air.

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
That's a good question, but i did an hour of digging while posting and it appears that when the engine gets to a warm temp, that the clutch does not engage. Would this mean that I need to get the clutch replaced? or just the pressure switch?