Air in power steering lines?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Can air in the power steering lines cause steering to be "choppy"? When I'm at speeds of lower than 5mph and I turn the steering left and right, the steering is stiff, then smooth, then stiff, then smooth, etc. in millisecond intervals.

Also, can a worn power steering belt cause squeaky steering? I thought that was bad ball joints but wasn't sure if a belt could do that too.

RonJ

Banned
Make sure the belt is tight and the reservoir is full of fluid. Any leaks from the hoses, pump, or rack?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
He tightened the belt enough to his standards. I trust him. He's done this multiple times. No leaks. Fluid has been the same level for years. I have never touched it. It's around the minimum, never gone below from what I've seen. I should've changed the P/S belt too but I completely forgot about it. At least it's the first belt so I don't have to take everything off again lol.

When my friend and I changed the timing belt, we turned the pump on its side to gain better access to the timing belt cover. That's why I'm asking if air in the lines could cause choppy steering since it started after we did the timing belt.

RonJ

Banned
Why keep the fluid at the minimum? Keep it at least midway in case of some fluid loss.

If you are asking how to bleed the system, it's pretty easy. Put the front end on stands, start the engine, and turn the steering wheel full right and full left multiple times.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I never bothered to think low fluid would be an issue since ive never had any leaks. And I'm in bed right now posting from my iTouch lol. Otherwise I'd look it up in my Haynes manual. I'll check it out tomorrow.

A belt is $11 from majestichonda so I might as well replace that too.

Thanks Ron.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't see the point of not having power steering unless you're going for a tucked bay and I don't care for that. Everything is covered in grime and grease anyways. My car has 216,xxx miles. I really couldn't care less lol. I would rather have power steering.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was just googling PS bleeding and a lot of people are saying it's not safe to turn the wheel lock-to-lock when bleeding the system, especially if the pump gets low, because then you're just pushing air through the pump which damages it. Someone suction flushed it with a syringe and mentioned a harbor freight tool. Sure enough:

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

I'm pretty sure there's a Harbor Freight store around here so I'm going to pick that cheap sucker upper and give that a shot.

I didn't know the power steering fluid was supposed to be clear. lol my s**t has been dark brown/black for so long...

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im thinking that is partially correct. to flush it you need to continue adding fluid to avoid it going empty, THEN you soyld have air in your system.. there was this guy that flush his ps about every year or so, he said you can turn it click to click, then refill with ps fluid that is cheap until you are ready to put in the fluid u want to keep.. or you can suction most of it out from the reserv, then add cheap fluid, turn. then add new keep fluid, turn til you see the new fluid comes thru, add more , top it off..all good to go.
this guy was a gas saver kind of guy.. he gets 38mpg on a est. 32mpg car..(1.8L 2zz toyota GT-S).

RonJ

Banned
I was just googling PS bleeding and a lot of people are saying it's not safe to turn the wheel lock-to-lock when bleeding the system, especially if the pump gets low, because then you're just pushing air through the pump which damages it. Someone suction flushed it with a syringe and mentioned a harbor freight tool. Sure enough:

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

I'm pretty sure there's a Harbor Freight store around here so I'm going to pick that cheap sucker upper and give that a shot.

I didn't know the power steering fluid was supposed to be clear. lol my s**t has been dark brown/black for so long...
You don't need a special tool. Read the instructions in the service manual.