Attn: 6th gen wiring gurus (secondary o2 sensor heater)

mik

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was looking at honda wiring diagrams for my car 1997 Civic SI (EX In USA) and lately ive had code 65 (secondary o2 sensor heater element) and I checked the resistence, and sure enough it was burned out.

I was wondering that if I put a 40ohm 25watt resistor on pin 5 of the ECU harness and groudned it as shown in the honda service manual will it look like the heater element is working to the ECU. (The secondary o2 sensor is just there for obd2 emissions standards and in my province they dont do emissions testing so it doesnt matter).

I just dont have 266cdn to drop on a new one right now, but I do have a high wattage resistor that will deliver the same load to the ecu.

Heres hondas diagram out of the service manual.

Last edited:

mik

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Upon further investigation it looks like the resistor between pins 3 and 4 of the harness connected to the secondary heated o2 sensor will do the trick.

Now I need to find out what these wires are equivalent to at the ecu, since its easier to access and mount the resistor for better cooling in there than it is under the car.

mik

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Obviously I'd rather have the actual secondary o2 sensor replaced, but this will do until I can get one cheap enough, or can afford the actual part.

mik

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Last edited:

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member