automatic p28 ecu control automatic b16?

95jdmej1

Hey guys, I know everyone hates on automatics, but I have really been wanting to build one just to see.

As of now, I have a 1994 Honda Civic Ex coupe, d16z6 automatic (m24a auto trans) with p28 ecu.
I have come across a low mileage Automatic b16 swap (jdm, yes they had auto b1x's), that includes the b16a longblock, the b16 m24a automatic trans, and I believe a p30 ecu.

I know its going to be tough to actually get it into my civic, but I am more concerned about the ECU aspect of this hopefull build. Are jdm ecus (like the jdm p30) chippable like the usdm ecus? If not, couldnt I get my automatic p28 ecu chipped to run the b16a? Also, since my car has an m24a auto trans, and the b16 uses an m24a auto trans couldnt the p28 control b16 m24a auto?

I know everyones going to say that autos suck, and even more so with the torquless b16, but I REALLY want an automatic B series in the car, and the price of the engine/trans really isnt that much. My first plan is to get the b16a/m24a auto trans into my 94 civic (came auto and vtec) and get it running correctly, then step 2 is going to be building a b20vtec.

So, is the jdm p30 ecu chip/tunable? Or, is the p28 able to control the b16 auto trans since it is an m24a like my d16 m24a auto?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
You can use either one though the P30 is the correct choice. If you go P28, chip it to P30. Either one can be made to act like the other and both can be made auto or manual. It's fairly easy to do even for someone with limited knowledge. Good luck!

... BTW, auto's suck :thumbs up LOL

95jdmej1

Is the jdm p30 ecu chippable and tunable?

So the p28 auto ecu that controls the D16's m24a a/t will correctly control the B16's m24a a/t?

and i know autos suck lol. becausenotracecar

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Well.. It'll get you by in a pinch. I ran a P28 just for a short while to make sure my swap was good. Then I chipped it to p30 and it ran better (because it's meant for b16). P06,P08, P28,P30,P72, auto or manual... They're all the same board basically. Just solder in a few things or take some things away and you'll change them from one to the other. When you chip them, you're loading in a map for the engine/mods you have. Add in Hondata and you can tune with it now.

If you're running a b16, get a p30 Ecu or get any of the above mentioned and chip it to p30 (load map) and you'll be good to go.

95jdmej1

I know I can chip my automatic p28 ecu and upload the p30 maps, was just curious if the p28 would work with teh b16a m24a auto trans.

Also, is the jdm automatic p30 ecu chippable? ive read that jdm ecus arent, and read that they are....

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
As far as I know, any OBD1 ECU set up for auto will run any auto trans. I find it hard to believe JDM ECU's are made different and can't be modded but I have no direct knowledge on it. If they can't, oh well. Get a dog dirt cheap P06 like I did and mod it to P30. Done.

95jdmej1

Anybody have any info on chipping/tuning jdm obd1 ecus? (b16a p30)

If not, will a chipped and p30 mapped automatic p28 ecu work with the b16a m24a auto trans?