Bay Area CA to Vancouver BC

jon31562

mmmm..turbo?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ummmmmmm......... your f**ked......

nahh... good music... if possible someone to ride with you.....

plane ticket??

mistahgomez23

5+ Year Member
plane tickets too expensive, i believe i would save money if i just long drive. but yeah im driving alone too tho

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dont pick up hitchhikers. and dont drink the tea hippies give you if you give them gas money. That was a looooong night.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Pain in the ass bro. Just buy the plane ticket, I spent twelve hours on a bus once, with ONE f**king STOP. Not a drive I would go for personally. The only thing I can recommend is bring something to drink and lots and LOTS of music.

smaggs

5+ Year Member
Did you do this drive yet?

weather in april is usually pretty decent here in van. you might be able to catch the last bit of snowboarding/skiing at the local mountains if that interests you. temperature is right on the brink of tshirt weather...depends if it's sunny or not. and there's a bit of rain around then...probably considered a lot for non-vancouverites haha

mistahgomez23

5+ Year Member
nope, i didnt do this drive yet. and thanks for the info man. this really helps, i just want to prepare and be ready for the worst.

smaggs

5+ Year Member
im not sure how long you plan on doing this drive in but if you want to do it in one stint here are some reocmmended times to leave.

I'm not sure how long it takes from LA to wherever you are so factor that in but i left LA at 4am coming back here and we just about missed rush hour in every city just heading straight up the I-5. We hit it a bit in Portland but other than that it was smooth sailing and we got here at about midnight. I am right near the US border so downtown Van would be about another half hour.

Then same thing on the way to LA, we left here at 4am (so 330 if from downtown Vancouver) and hit it again a tiny bit in Portland and got to LA at midnight also. Seattle is about 2 hours into the journey so I'd say as long as you beat that traffic you are good.

As far as driving tips...we just planned out what gas stations to go to about 100km's (60 miles) in advance on the navi, since they get pretty rare at some points. Make sure you know how much your car can get to the tank for highway driving and like i said, plan ahead for where to get gas. Also make sure the gas stations you do go to are close to the highway. I tried not to stray too far just in case...never know what weirdos are out there.

Hope that helps.

I can't say anything about the coastal highway but from what i've heard it is only worth it going south as the median will block 90% of the view when heading up this direction.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've drivin from the bay to seattle and back numerous times. its not that bad, i've done it in 9 hours, and ive done it when it took as many as 14 hours. once you get up past redding gas stations are pretty rare. just plan ahead for gas. i would say its do-able in 1 day, but dont push yourself. if you get tired pull over at a rest stop and take a nap. no need to put yourself or anyone on the road at risk

good luck and be safe :thumbs up