Do you have a 6th Gen Sedan? Look inside.

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
I am looking to replace the silver trim around my windows with black trim. I'm not sure if they even have this for these years or if I will need to paint it. I'm looking to just replace it though. I was told at the dealership that I should try to find a person with this black trim already and get their VIN number and they could look it up for me that way. He said the computers didn't say what color it is so this is the best way for them. If anyone has this black trim and wouldn't mind giving me their VIN number that would be awesome. Thanks.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Id say just pop it off (..the trim, that is...), sand it down alittle, prime it, and paint it a flat black. Itd prolly be cheaper than buying new trim. If you wanted, you could even throw a couple of coats of clearcoat on it, and make it look all nice and shiny.

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
Thanks, that's definitely my back up plan. It's already kind of coming off the passenger side door and I haven't been able to pop it back in so that's one reason I'd just like to get new trim.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how about you put electric tape on it.. mine has lasted for years is isnt nocticable at all

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldn't paint them nor would I put tape on them for sure. Nothing against those people, but some might prefer to just have the real things.

Anyway, you don't need any other VIN in order to buy these from Honda. I don't knwo why they would tell you that even. I've NEVER been asked for my VIN when I go in to buy anythign for my car. Just go in, say you need a part for a '99 Civic sedan. When they get that info in tell them you want the black seal that lines around the windows. That's all they should need. They don't need anyone's VIN in order to get parts.

I've never trusted this idea that a dealership needs a VIN to get parts that would match that car. I see the same question asked by people often who are looking for a true EK9 (Civic Type R) VIN.

Oh, and VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number. So you don't have to add "number" to the end again. ;)

I would also encourage other users not to post their VIN here. Yes, you can get a key cut for a car through the dealership if you provide the VIN and convince them enough that the car belongs to you. I've done this many times before.

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
NOFX: Thanks for the info. I agree that I do want the "real thing" if possible. I think he told me to get a VIN because he said that when he pulled up the part it didn't have a color listed and if he orders it for my car it will most definitely come in chrome as that's what is on there now. What I really need is just to find someone with a 6th Gen Sedan that has it stock to see if it even exists!

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just find it on a sedan and ask them what their car is. Then go in and ask for the part for that car. Liek if it's a '00 EX sedan, go ask for that.

This "needing a VIN" thing always struck me as odd.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to work in parts in a Honda dealership. They ask for it sometimes to get the right part and colour and sometimes just saying 99 civic ex just doesn't cut it. For example, a 98 dx has different rotors depending on the manufacture date (the holes in the middle are different sizes). Only way to know which you need is by using the VIN. By the same token, the entire VIN is not needed, only usually the beginning if i remember right....

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, I doubt they'd need (for example) his sequence number. That would be the last six digits btw.

The manufacture date should be elsewhere on the car too though I thought (though if it were anywhere in the VIN it would be the sequence number I'd imagine).

(This will only work for Honda, '90-'98 that I am sure of.)
1st digit is orgin of manufacture (1 for US, 2 for Canada, J for Japan, etc).
2nd digit is maker (H = Honda).
3rd digit is vehicle type.
4th, 5th, and 6th digits are your chassis code, which tells the model and sometimes the body style or engine (EJ8 = EX coupe/sedan, EM1 = Si coupe, etc).
7th digit is the transmission and sometimes body style.
8th digit is vehicle grade.
9th is the check digit.
10th is the year.
11th is the manufacture plant.
And 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th make up the seqence number.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, there we go. I thought it was some where in the middle part, but now that you post all of that, it all coming back to me now