DOHC ZC in a 1997 Civic?

vtecbaby82

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey I've been looking around to getting another motor, I'm really leaning towards the DOHC ZC non-vtec motor from the old skool tegs, does anyone know if this motor will be a bolt in for a 97 civic? I'm tired of tryin to build up my SOHC and getting nowhere, it'd quick but i really want a DOHC, and before anyone suggest a b16a, NO! I'm kind of on a budget, also does anyone know if there are alot of after market parts for this motor and how reliable it is, any weak points? like on the D series it was there thin connecting rods? please help in any info will be greatly appreciated. i seen hatchbacks and crx's with this motor in it and they've smoked gsr's,does this motor have a lot of potential? and is it worth getting? thanks

vtecbaby82

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[one more thing is it possible to keep my SOHC D16zc tranny or wopuld i have to use the one for that motor

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
umm.. if you have an ex, you have a d16y8, which has got a good 15 hp on a usdm zc and gives up 3 hp to the jdm version. and the zc's are obd0, and your car is an obd2, so the wiring to make that work would be hideous. that would be a completely pointless swap. if you want hp, get a b series, or turbo your sohc.

vtecbaby82

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JDM DOHC ZC i think is somewhere around like 130-135HP, and the SOHC ZC VTEC is like 127HP, Point is eveybody knows that there are more tuning options for DOHC,I don't know what the aftermarket is like for this motor, plus i've heard that motor is more durable,someone anyone please help. I would do a B series swap, but my car would get stolen soooo quick prolly the same day it got, that's why i'm tryin to stay away from that. we have this group of guys around the area here in md that stealing integras civic si's and anything they think may have a b series swap, ther nuts about vtec.i know it's only a lil jump from stock D16y8 is like 127 and the DOHC ZC is like 130hp, ok so it's a 3hp but the motor won't stay stock for long remember, in the end with all basic bolts besides I/H/E,(cam gears, camshafts, S-AFC, Pulleys, intake manifold) would this swap be worth it i have all that s**t on my civic now but i don't think all that stuff made much difference on SOHC, prolly like 15hp

smitty82pu

"hail hail to old Purdue"
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you would spend more money converting your car to be able to accept the swap (obd2 to obd0 and the s**t ton of other crap) than you would if you went with a b16.. seriously man that is soo not worth it.. the mounts are all different and everything.. your d series tranny should bolt up but not match housings perfect.. that would seriously be a mega headache.. if i were you and on a budget like that i would sell my '97 and buy a cheaper civic to do a swap in, like a 4G or 5G.. it would make more sense to buy a 4G to have the zc in and put a little change in your pocket.. its your $ and time though so do what you want, just be ready for tons of i told you so's.. =)

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
vtecbaby82 said:
JDM DOHC ZC i think is somewhere around like 130-135HP, and the SOHC ZC VTEC is like 127HP, Point is eveybody knows that there are more tuning options for DOHC,I don't know what the aftermarket is like for this motor, plus i've heard that motor is more durable,someone anyone please help. I would do a B series swap, but my car would get stolen soooo quick prolly the same day it got, that's why i'm tryin to stay away from that. we have this group of guys around the area here in md that stealing integras civic si's and anything they think may have a b series swap, ther nuts about vtec.i know it's only a lil jump from stock D16y8 is like 127 and the DOHC ZC is like 130hp, ok so it's a 3hp but the motor won't stay stock for long remember, in the end with all basic bolts besides I/H/E,(cam gears, camshafts, S-AFC, Pulleys, intake manifold) would this swap be worth it i have all that s**t on my civic now but i don't think all that stuff made much difference on SOHC, prolly like 15hp

umm.. fyi.. zc's are d series motors. the fact that one has a dohc head and one has a sohc makes almost no difference. there are far more parts for the sohc vtecs in america than there are zc's. the aftermarket parts you mentioed wont do much for either motor, and you will end up with the same hp regardless of which one you put the parts on. and im with the other guy, for what it would cost to get the motor, do the swap, wire it up, and all those parts you could easily have a running b16a.

vtecbaby82

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
umm.. fyi.. zc's are d series motors. the fact that one has a dohc head and one has a sohc makes almost no difference. there are far more parts for the sohc vtecs in america than there are zc's. the aftermarket parts you mentioed wont do much for either motor, and you will end up with the same hp regardless of which one you put the parts on. and im with the other guy, for what it would cost to get the motor, do the swap, wire it up, and all those parts you could easily have a running b16a.
Ok I guess you guys are right, I'm considering getting a B16A, the one i'm looking at is a 1st gen 88-91 SiR, anyone know if this will blot in to a 97 civic i know the B16A2 and the B16A3 will, the 1st gen motor is going for like 1250, remeber i'm on a budget

smitty82pu

"hail hail to old Purdue"
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vtecbaby82 said:
Ok I guess you guys are right, I'm considering getting a B16A, the one i'm looking at is a 1st gen 88-91 SiR, anyone know if this will blot in to a 97 civic i know the B16A2 and the B16A3 will, the 1st gen motor is going for like 1250, remeber i'm on a budget
ok again.. here we go.. this is an obd0 motor and you need an obd2.. you will be faced with the same issues as you would have been with the zc.. you need to get a newer motor, and you are going to have to get a b series tranny, axles, ecu and all that to match anyways too.. plan on spending 2k+ man.. remember you get what you pay for most of the time.. and you would be facing more headaches than you would be saving money..

vtecbaby82

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does anyone know any good motor swap aite i've tried streetimports and ardperformance already

HS-POKEY

My suitcase was vibrating
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not to mention the first gen b-16 has cable tranny...you need a hydro tranny unless youconvert that..plau wiring from obd2 to 0 might has well save more money adn get a b18c1..or b16.....or if all else fails you can buil a pretty decent turbo kit -tuning...so good luck in whatever you do

edit: also puting an older motor in your car is illegal....like a 93 in a 97...i think thats right?

JDM James

Ominous
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Older motor, Newer Car - illegal i think HS-Pokey. Anyways save for a different motor, from my experiences with the JDM zc, They suck.

jd126x

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey ZC engine's aren't bad. Hate on domestics, not on honda. All honda engine's have potential, an 84 crx with a single cam 1.5 dx did under ten secs 1/4 mile. Read hondatunning and mags like that. Hope for all honda. Domestics can drive off a bridge, or run into a tree. :-)