Erratic Speedometer - 93 Si

cnoyez1

My 93 Si has been having erratic speedometer issues. I have been dealing with it bouncing around and thought it might be the speedometer itself, so I replaced the cluster & it seemed to be fine for a while. I have no CEL codes thrown. As far as fuses, they all are not blown (the last time I checked). Just a crazy bouncing needle. I have read some threads about replacing the VSS & might do that based on comments.

On some of the threads people have mentioned that their headlights will dim. I had this issue as well and thought it might be the contact points in the light switch itself. I took it apart & cleaned it & have not had the problem with the lights.

I have read online about cleaning the VSS & it working like new. Is this a good idea or should it just be replaced? Also along with the speedometer how can one calibrate it? I know there are couple questions in here but I rather save the time instead of making multiple threads. Thanks & any input is greatly appreciated.

CDubs

Registered VIP
ive been having the same problem minus the lights dimming looking for input also on cleaning or replacing