Everybody I am a damn idiot!! hahaha!!!

michaelliv

I thought I had a speed sensor issue because my speedometer wasn't working.. turns out after all the speedo needle has somehow turned all the way around and is stuck at zero.??!!!?? I obviously should have noticed this, but was thinking of other things like speed sensor, cluster issue and obviously should have looked at the speedo more closely.. Has anyone else had this or have heard of this happening?? speedo needles turning completely around till it's stuck on the zero.. I am going to fix this tomorrow, or just have a better look, if any ideas of why this happened thanks.. odd.. right now I feel stupid as hell..

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did the previous owner mess with the cluster, or did you? I never heard of a needle completely turning all the way over on its own, to the zero mark.

michaelliv

dude I promise you I didn't f**k with it.. my friend who is a certified mechanic said he has seen it before on kia's and what not.. said it happens, I guess just turn the needle back around?? I dunno he said he was going to help me with it tomorrow so we will see.. pretty cool if I got it fixed and didn't have to f**k with a bunch of stuff.. knowing cars I doubt that.. there will be something that takes four hours and repeated profanities..

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just take the cluster out and apart. Spin the needle back the otherway.

Big Ocker

I've seen this problem on some newer Civics. What fixes it a lot of times is disconnecting BOTH the pos(+) and the neg(-) cables from the battery and touching them together for 20 secs.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've seen this problem on some newer Civics. What fixes it a lot of times is disconnecting BOTH the pos(+) and the neg(-) cables from the battery and touching them together for 20 secs.
Dude are you kidding??? Touching cables together is not going to do ANYTHING so please don't use this post as anything VALID... touching non live cables together will yield no results other than points for being an idiot, and if you touch live cables together well your just a moron.

hondahappiness

5+ Year Member
Actually touching the positive and negative cables together on alot of cars resets the computer, but im not sure if it works on a 94 coupe. ive never done it on my 95.

1991civicb16

Actually touching the positive and negative cables together on alot of cars resets the computer, but im not sure if it works on a 94 coupe. ive never done it on my 95.
This^^

I had a BMW that the dealer told me to touch the cables on to reset the computer as well. When disconnected from the battery that is.

Big Ocker

Dude are you kidding??? Touching cables together is not going to do ANYTHING so please don't use this post as anything VALID... touching non live cables together will yield no results other than points for being an idiot, and if you touch live cables together well your just a moron.
If you know your facts before running your mouth you look less arrogant later on. I've been a LICENCED Honda Tech for almost 20 years so I usually know of what I'm speaking. This problem happens mainly on 2001 and up Civic models BUT I have also seen it happen on other models as well.

IF I can find the bulletin that was issued by Honda describing this problem, I'll try to post it here.

I know I'm really new here but sometimes even the new boy knows more than you.

Ït's a bad day when you don't learn something new." E. Vezina- best damn mechanic I've ever met.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you know your facts before running your mouth you look less arrogant later on. I've been a LICENCED Honda Tech for almost 20 years so I usually know of what I'm speaking. This problem happens mainly on 2001 and up Civic models BUT I have also seen it happen on other models as well.

IF I can find the bulletin that was issued by Honda describing this problem, I'll try to post it here.

I know I'm really new here but sometimes even the new boy knows more than you.

Ït's a bad day when you don't learn something new." E. Vezina- best damn mechanic I've ever met.

You show me a VALID HONDA site not just some forum and I will believe it... Until then I call BS. If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it....

Touching cables together to reset a ECU that is not even conn to a battery for one sounds pointless and 2 even if there is stored energy sounds like a possible issue more than anything.

So don't think I am running my mouth, because I am not...

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any VALID Tech site/manual will do... I just see an issue with doing this and possible circuit over load... Could I be wrong sure? But I want stone hard proof.

98civb18c

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Who the f**k in they're right mind would touch a positive and a negative wire together.. Jesus Christ. I've only done that for kicks and giggles while jump starting another vehicle to make sure I was getting a good charge. WTF.

Hey heres an idea. To reset an ECU unplug the battery for 10 mins. Thats what EVERY manufacturer recommends to reset a ECU, not touch + and - s**t together and see what happens... Now since his signature says "94 Civic EX" thats reason to assume he has a 94 Civic EX - That being said, his speedometer is mechanical, not electrical... Easy way to check that... Push the car without it being on, and the needle picks up and reads your speed. Touching wires together isn't going to do s**t but cause more problems..Honda tech..

To the OP, take the cluster out, pull the cover off and spin the needle back around with your finger it should move very freely.

/thread

Big Ocker

https://honda.portal.honda.ca/portal/eBizBulletin/bulletinPDF.jsp?bulletinURL=.%2FgetBulletin.do%3FbulletinId%3D8b6dde859d5f4210VgnVCM1000009ba782cf____%26year%3D2003%26model%3DA-CIVIC-2003

Hopefully this link works. I'm alot better at cars than computers; I had to get my punk son to get this link working on this page.

Please keep in mind that this is Honda Canada Shop Talk and it may not be available south of the border.

Basically what this procedure is doing is discharging any capacitors in the car's wiring system including the cluster assembly.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Who the f**k in they're right mind would touch a positive and a negative wire together.. Jesus Christ. I've only done that for kicks and giggles while jump starting another vehicle to make sure I was getting a good charge. WTF.

Hey heres an idea. To reset an ECU unplug the battery for 10 mins. Thats what EVERY manufacturer recommends to reset a ECU, not touch + and - s**t together and see what happens... Now since his signature says "94 Civic EX" thats reason to assume he has a 94 Civic EX - That being said, his speedometer is mechanical, not electrical... Easy way to check that... Push the car without it being on, and the needle picks up and reads your speed. Touching wires together isn't going to do s**t but cause more problems..Honda tech..

To the OP, take the cluster out, pull the cover off and spin the needle back around with your finger it should move very freely.

/thread
This

michaelliv

thanks guys I am just going to take the speedo out and spin the needle back.. I dunno.. thanks though..

Big Ocker

UCCRacing, you're right. I completely missed the fact that it is a 94 model; that or I saw the 4 and just assumed that there was a 0 in front of it. Sorry about that. I didn't quite expect the reaction that I received though. But I did get you that valid bulletin from a valid website though:oops:

michaelliv

I fixed it.. just took out the speedo and turned the needle back.. took me about thirty minutes total no bullshit either.. it made me feel good inside.. didn't break or lose nothing..