function7 lower control arm on 6th gen

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
Hi guys, I recently replace my 96 dx civic suspension with 2 pairs of yellow koni and the lower control arms with function7 (the damn bolts on the OEM LCA broke on me, both side, ended up cut both LCA bushing out, so i got function7 LCA for replacement).

Anyway, as far as handling i think its ok with yellow koni, not much different from the OEM ones, maybe a bit stiffer and more bouncy, i have set softest in front and half circle rear. My question is ...there are popping or creaking sounds from the rear when i go up or down from drive way or high bumps. Are these sounds natural since function7 has energy bushings?

Also should koni shocks make a huge different on the handling? or they need to the assistance of upper, lower tower bar and rear sway bar in order to make a noticeable different in handling

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The creaking noises tend to come from non-lubricated bushings. Before installing the control arms, you should have been given some bushing lube to lube the inner collar. This allows the inner collar to rotate inside the bushing. These points are pivote points that allow the suspension to move up and down. Without lubrication, you'll get squeeking from the metal collar trying to rotate inside the poly bushing.

Some stiffer springs will assist the Konis a lot. You're running a high dampening shock with a low spring rate spring. Without matching your springs and shocks, you end up with an overall pretty uncomfortable ride.

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the insight explanations, Henkz0r. About bushing lubing, do i lube inner metal ring then one that has the bolt go through? Function7 LCA shipped without any grease, just the arms with the bushing in place already. Do i need to take poly busing and metal rod/ring out and lube in between?

Also, i'm using oem spring since i don't want to my car be any lower due winter driving through pile of snow. Most of after market spring such as eibach are shorter. Are there any alternative?

Thanks a bunch!

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lube goes between the bushing and the metal collar (inner metal ring). Removal of the actual bushing is not necessary. Just the collar.

H&R OE Sports have a very, very subtle drop, but a slightly stiffer ride. Here's my friend's 98 hatch on H&R OE Sports:

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
cool! Thanks for the respond guys. What spring rate should i be considered for a decent/comfy daily ride. So eibach is not as good then?

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love my Eibach Pro-Kit. It's aggressive enough for my driving style, but not torture on the back when cruising. A lot of people give me crap because they want it lower, but I simply love everything about them. There's a sticky somewhere around here with spring rates of almost every spring available... http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=68904

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
Sweet, I'll probably go with eibach pro then. Thanks for great response and the sticky link. I see why u recommend The H&R OE first, which is a bit softer - 0.75 vs a bit stiffer - 1.5 drop Eibach pro. Good stuff, bro.

Henkz0r, i saw your page red civic pictures. How many inches are those rims?

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have ksports for a 90-91 integra. It's 13k in the front and 7k in the rear. I love it. The f**king car handles on a dime man. If you're car is a daily driver and you don't want something that where break your spine, then I would get something else.

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

This is my car with the Ksports on it. It can be dropped more, but the camber is too bad right now without a camber kit. I'll try and get a pic of the F-7 LCA's.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sweet, I'll probably go with eibach pro then. Thanks for great response and the sticky link. I see why u recommend The H&R OE first, which is a bit softer - 0.75 vs a bit stiffer - 1.5 drop Eibach pro. Good stuff, bro.

Henkz0r, i saw your page red civic pictures. How many inches are those rims?
They are 15x6.5, Rota Attack in Plain Gold.