Hatchback either doesn't start, or dies on road

honda11686

ok, so my 1991 honda civic DX has starting giving me problems about a week ago.

Day 1: After leaving work, car starts lurching and finally dies. Acts like its out of gas. Will not start. I put starting fluid in the throttle body and finally get the car started. Make it about 1 miles down the road and it does again. I let the car sit over night.

Day 2: Car starts right up and runs fine for the next day

Day 4: Car gets me to work. Then when I try to leave, it doesn't start. I try about everything I know, then randomly, i hit the tub of the car right above the fuel pump with my fist (I have the rear seat removed), then when I turned the key, it started. I got the can home, shut it off, and it wouldn't start yet again. I hit the tub again above the fuel pump, and it started.

Day 5: Car started fine, ran great for the trip to town (about 20 miles) then about 2 miles from home, it died. I pulled over, hit the tub again above the fuel pump, and it started right up. I also tried a new diagnosis. I would turn the key to the point just before the car starts and could hear the pump kick in. I would keep doing this until i didnt hear the pump, at that point I would try to start the car and it would not start. aha! i thought, so I hit the tub above the fuel pump, and it worked again.

I do not understand why hitting the tub makes the the pump work? Any suggestions?

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Bad ground ? Drop the tank and check the connections atleast u know its ur fuel pump

Sent from tapataalllkk