Hey guys, I'm new to this site and just bought a 2000 Civic EX

Tero

i had the same code replaced the cat and so far no code
okay thanks for the info.. what kind of cat did you get?

Im looking for OEM but i cant really find any online for a decent price...

any info on aftermarket cat's?? I may try to get one from advanced auto.. its a Magnaflow Cat.. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Direct-Fit-Catalytic-Converter,-Stainless-Steel-MagnaFlow_22317118-P_145_R|GRPEXHAAMS_____

ALSO i would like to just change the entire exhaust system. including muffler and exhaust tip. any recommended ones? i'm looking for something that makes my car sound hard

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a OEM cat if you are interested, its not clogged at all

also with the issues you were having it might be the O2 sensors are fouled as it was likely running rich and dumping a bunch of gas into the exhaust system, might want to see if you can take them out and look at them

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You probably ruined lots of stuff if there was actually 7 or 8 quarts of oil in the car. Jesus.

Tero

I have a OEM cat if you are interested, its not clogged at all

also with the issues you were having it might be the O2 sensors are fouled as it was likely running rich and dumping a bunch of gas into the exhaust system, might want to see if you can take them out and look at them
I think your right because I used premium 93-95 octane a couple times... so is it just the sensors? or both sensors and cat?? Am I running rich because of my distributor is more advanced?? does this have any longterm effects?

what happens to the gas that gets dumped into the exhaust system??

Also i am very interested in buying the cat from you .. i will PM you later today. Thanks man

Tero

I think im going with a yonaka catback exhaust with a 4.25 tip, i heard they are pretty decent and not too loud.

An Apexi world sport 2 would be nice, but way too expensive.

will purchase that and magnaflow catalytic converter is on its way. will come be back with pics

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
Welcome to site man! First thing i would do is take off those bumper stickers ;). Car looks really good though black coupe ftw!

army4life

Army MOS: Combat Ninja
You might also look into the stock Civic Si exhaust for that year. Not very loud, but a clean sound overall. You can also do a little bit of research on youtube or even factory websites to find a sound you like. Believe it or not, flowmaster makes a fairly decent sound on the d16y8. Not real "fart-can" like, like some of the others. When it comes to exhaust, it's all about preference. Also, DO NOT cut your stock airbox up just to get that "intake" sound. You'll likely need the stock set up when you go to smog your car. My theory is this: do it right the first time and you won't have to do it more than once. And it's not a bad idea to hold on to your stock equipment if you have somewhere to put it, as there may come a time when you need/want it for something. Just food for thought from a guy who had to learn these lessons the hard way.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:hi:

And woah woah woah. You put five? Is it still a single cam? Because five is wayyy too much. Singles take like 3.8

Tero

You might also look into the stock Civic Si exhaust for that year. Not very loud, but a clean sound overall. You can also do a little bit of research on youtube or even factory websites to find a sound you like. Believe it or not, flowmaster makes a fairly decent sound on the d16y8. Not real "fart-can" like, like some of the others. When it comes to exhaust, it's all about preference. Also, DO NOT cut your stock airbox up just to get that "intake" sound. You'll likely need the stock set up when you go to smog your car. My theory is this: do it right the first time and you won't have to do it more than once. And it's not a bad idea to hold on to your stock equipment if you have somewhere to put it, as there may come a time when you need/want it for something. Just food for thought from a guy who had to learn these lessons the hard way.
thats some solid feedback right there. I have been doing a lot of youtubing. and the other day i looked under my car and the exhaust looks clean.. its just the tip thats real rusted. i was wondering if i could just change the tip somehow so that it looks big when it sticks out on my bumper... not sure if welding is the way to go or to change one part or to just replace the entire thing..

now that i dont need my catalytic converter no more, i think im gonna return it and get my money back and just buy front and rear lips and a spoiler...

Tero

Update...

just changed the wires and spark plugs.. NGK IRIDIUMS and im really feeling the smooth response my civic has now