How to: DIY OEM radio lighting in a 6th gen (96-98)

wfw12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was tired of looking at my stock white lighting from the OEM radio so I got to thinking about if I could change the colour and this is what I came up with. I started with a 96-98 but it might be able to be done with a 99-00 if your looking for the Si look.

Time needed: 20 min… depending on how many times you have taken apart your dash.
Tools: Small Phillips screw driver, 1 paint brush, 1 little jar of paint (your choice of colour)
Skill level: 1
Total cost: $0

Start by removing your factory radio. There are DIY’s so im not going to cover that, just search if you don’t know how.

Remove the screw beside the harness plug

Remove the screws on both sides of the faceplate

Pry off the cover starting with the area marked “open”

Remove the cover from the back

Gently remove the faceplate from the main housing

Pry the circuit board from the faceplate, the volume knob will want to stay on so you have to force the curcuit board out slowly

Remove the blue “condoms” from the LED’s. there are 6 in total

Lightly paint the LED’s with the paint of your choice, I chose red

Reassemble in the reverse order. Put the radio back in your car, put your dash back together and admire your work.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
turned out pretty good. could you not just replace the bulbs instead of painting them?

sticky worthy IMO

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks good. Should of done the climate control too. Its only 2 bulbs.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you could prob replace the bulbs, but thats probably a lot more work.

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice =) I feel bad u guys stuck w/ stock radio (it hooks up w/ security system, am i correct?)

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if u upgrade ur radio it should b common sense to upgrade ur alarm as well. that way they will both act independently

wfw12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cant replace the bulbs since they are LEDs, im sure it can be done but that requires re-soldering them in.
i was going to do the CC but i didnt have the bulbs to replace them since i think the paint would chip off from the heat