Instrument cluster bulb size

MP1975

Hello all ,

I have a 1996 Civic EX.

I went to change my gear shift light bulb (Center console) and the closest bulb any store had was a 73. I tried it and although the bulb fit the holder and lit up I was unable to re-seat the bulb where it had to go the bulb was literally a hair to big. Had to go to Honda and get a 35505-S30-003 which did seat properly.

I moved on to my Instrument cluster which also has bulbs out. There are 2 bulbs on the top of panel, not the center bulb, and every where I read they say #74 bulbs ? These are the same size as the gear shift light bulb.
Does anyone know for sure, is there more clearance in the instrument panel then the gear shift ? Does a larger bulb 73 or 74 actually fit in where it needs to go.

The Blue bulbs...I can only assume they get black like a regular bulb when they burn out.

Thanks in advance,
MP.

RonJ

Banned
I just buy all the cluster bulb assemblies from the Honda dealer to preserve white background color.

MP1975

Thanks just easier for them to give me the exact part.

The blue bulbs ? Easy to tell when they go out. They turn black also ?

RonJ

Banned
All the cluster bulbs have a blue plastic/rubber cover, and the glass may blacken when the bulbs get old.

MP1975

Using the term "Cluster" generically. I'm including anything in the instrument panel on the front dash.
Seat belt bulb, Right left turn signal etc etc. They are all clear bulbs. I only have 3 or 4 bulbs with a blue cover.