Is it possible waterproofing HID ballasts to prevent shortages?

aneidiaztorres

Ok, so at one point (a WHILE ago) I was working on my 98 Civic CX hatch and I took off the splash shield located under the engine. I guess its the main one that protects engine bay electrical components (headlights, sensors, electrical wires, etc). Anyhow, yeah, I removed it. I ended up losing it. A few months later, I bought some smoked JDM headlights with a bixenon 8000k HID kit. The first night I used them was rainy out. They had a shortage I guess and shut off. I got frustrated and removed the headlights and installed my old boring projectors I was using before those. That worked fine. Anyhow, my purpose in this thread was to ask for opinions. Do you guys think the HID ballast were that sensitive to water??? Also, could it have been that because the front splash shield not being on, the water reached that high up? Seems like pretty logical things but I just wanna make sure I'm but crazy and that the HID ballasts weren't defective. I plan on ordering that front splash shield soon. And I will try the HID look again. But just to be on the safe side, I wanna insulate or waterproof the ballasts some how. Has anything like this been done before? Similar cases to mine?

Please, CC, help a fellow out. Any opinions, suggestions, advice, etc. are deeply appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any ballast I have ever bought has been waterproof when I bought it, sounds like you bought some cheaply made crap.

aneidiaztorres

No, I actually didn't. Perhaps I described my problem wrong? The ballasts did get partially wet. I think water might've touched a wire. Anyhow, I bought a Xentec HID kit. Before bashing the product I bought, can you give me your input on the splash shield theory? Please, thank you!

Do you guys think that the splash shield not being under my car has allowed wetness into my headlight component area? I think its logical for it to happen. And my ballasts WERE wet. Maybe not the direct cause of shortage, but can help diagnose the main problem., I'm certain it wasn't anything to do with the HID kit I bought. I've bought from seller before for my other Civics and never sold me defective product. please, any input?

Last edited by a moderator:

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most HID ballast are already waterproof or at least water resistant yours must be incredibly cheap.move them somewhere else.

aneidiaztorres

most HID ballast are already waterproof or at least water resistant yours must be incredibly cheap.move them somewhere else.
That is what I am looking for now in the DIY section. Where is the safest location to place HID ballasts? Do you know of any DIYs with good detail on this subject? please, anyone help me out.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY write up on where to put a ballast? its a simple one screw or double side tape install. Put it in the bay on the shock towers...you can put it anywhere because i doubt its what is causing a short..if you are afraid, put a bag over it

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Google dude.

aneidiaztorres

Is it safe to assume that it's good to try and secure HID ballast as much as possible from vibrations to assure no shortages?

My friend from work has had Xentec HIDs for a while now and that's the best advice he can give me. Aside from reinforcing terminals from water by taping real well, any inputs?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your issue is water so keep them away from water vibration is not the problem. no matter where you put them there going to be introduced to vibration.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
putting wayyyyyyy to much thought into this, buy a quality kit, mount it and forget about it. I dont have mine done in any way special or waterproofed, just mounted it, wired it up and been going for years.

aneidiaztorres

putting wayyyyyyy to much thought into this, buy a quality kit, mount it and forget about it. I dont have mine done in any way special or waterproofed, just mounted it, wired it up and been going for years.
I just had a Bad first experience. Sorry you didn't. I keep thinking maybe I did something wrong. But soon I will meet my obstacle:D:p:thumbup::banghead::cool:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it safe to assume that it's good to try and secure HID ballast as much as possible from vibrations to assure no shortages?
I just really need to install that front splash shield. that's really what messed up my last HIDs.
I had my set of H.I.D.'s ( purchased from http://www.gothidxenon.com... just your regular PnP H.I.D.'s) mounted in the wheel wells without splash guards and only held in place with one 10mm bolt. Never had a problem with them. Like some have said, I think it's just a lower end set of PnP H.I.D.s There's soo many out there now that it's pretty hard to tell a decent pair from the rest.