Just bought a 6th gen, what maintenance should I do at 104,000?

legend1011

Banned
About a week ago I purchased a 1997 Honda Civic HX Coupe Auto and I LOVE IT!! Anyways, I was wondering what maintenance would you guys recommend me doing to it. I started simple yesterday, I bought some Engine Bright engine cleaner and I power washed the engine under the hood at a car wash. I know this really isn't maintenance, but it should help with working in there !:lol: I just bought a PCV valve today and thought it would be a great idea to post on here with suggestions on what I should do...

I plan on changing the oil within 500 miles or so just so I know it was done and I thought about a tranny flush, but scared to do this cause of the higher mileage ( I have heard that a flush can destroy a tranny since it loosens up all the gunk /sludge in there doing more harm than good).65k is written on the Timing belt case, so I'm assuming it was done then, but I don't want to take any chances so I will do it myself in a while.

Well, let me know what you guys think it needs... assuming I'm not sure what has been done which I don't:lol:

Thanks

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Has the timing belt been changed yet? That is recommended at 90k.

Then there is the usual maintenance such as plugs, dizzy and so on.

I'm sure someone will chime in on the Honda maintenance schedule. I don't have my Helms handy at the moment.

str8venom99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
timing belt cap rotor plugs wires coolant change/ flush thermostat gasket, outer drive belts. possible hoses depending on condition. also depending on previous owner maybe more or less

legend1011

Banned
wow, timing belt is 90,000k. I'm not too far off assuming it hasn't been done. I will look to buy a belt and attempt this using the How to guide on this site. It will give me something to do on the weekend other than Drink. Thanks guys

johno590

f**k thieves
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didn't know the timing belt was changed at 90k, I just hit 90k... might need to replace that soon.

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
What kind of sound would a car make if it needs a timing belt replaced? My car makes a little bit of ticking sound when running.

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i was also worried how to start after i bought a 2nd hand civic...then after reading threads and using google and of course asking some fellow cc members, i have learned so many things which help me a lot though sometimes confuses me.the important thing is A S K if you dont know or not sure of what your going to do with your new civic...the nice thing bout this site is they will always have inputs even if its lame
btw.. congrats on your civic...you will surely have a nice ride if youll just take care of it.

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if the timing belt needs to be replaced you will know but it will be too late....it will make a somewhat loud humming noise...and then Pop...broke in half and then you risk a pistion smackin a valve and ending your d16y5's life

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
civic98turbo said:
if the timing belt needs to be replaced you will know but it will be too late....it will make a somewhat loud humming noise...and then Pop...broke in half and then you risk a pistion smackin a valve and ending your d16y5's life
I also recently bought a 96 hatch so I've read the first thing you gotta do is change that timing belt, no matter what. Sounds scary, maybe you could cut the motor if you suspect its gonna go?

slammed98hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just did mine. I did all of it at once.

- new head gasket
- timing belt
- spark plug gaskets
- valve cover gasket
- water pump
- thermostat
- denso irdium plugs
- oil change
- fuel filter
- new header installed (i know this isn't maintenance).

If your going to tear apart your motor, might as well attack as many of the maintenance stuff as possible.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or you can take your car to the Honda Car Care Days....look for a participating dealer so they can do a 40pt free inspection

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just remember to do the water pump if you do the belt

chunktwo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
- timing belt
- spark plug gaskets
- valve cover gasket
- water pump
- plugs
- oil change
- fuel filter
- PCV Valve
- Pads and rotors/drums if needed
- Brake Fluid - Bleed/flush
- Dizzy rotor/cap
- Plug wires
- While you have the spark plugs out.. might as well do a compression test..

cant think of anything else at the moment//

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
Astheros said:
or you can take your car to the Honda Car Care Days....look for a participating dealer so they can do a 40pt free inspection
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/hccd.asp

Am I to understand that this going on right now??? If so, I'm hauling ass to my nearest participating Honda dealership!

edit: nevermind, i called them up and its on! some dealerships may require prior notice to schedule an appointment.

Kumo

Chillin with the D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
FLAteam said:
What kind of sound would a car make if it needs a timing belt replaced? My car makes a little bit of ticking sound when running.
When I need to change my belt and pulley it sounded like and uneven load in the washing machine.