Looking For Purple Paint, That's Not A Wrap

Kevin Glover

Amen. :lol:

I have never seen a rattle can job that looked good. Sure most can make them look good in pictures but in person up close they look terrible. It's one thing to paint a front valance or smaller pieces with rattle can paint but to do a whole car and have it uniform without a TON of work and lots of cans.

I guess it depends on what you are after in a final product. I can already picture in my head how this is going to turn out. You going to remove everything and prep right? What about door seams, trunk, and engine bay? There is a reason a full color swap is very expensive.

Good luck. You have a very massive amount of work ahead of you if you are going to make this look remotely decent with that kind of paint.
I've been considering today actually trying out a vinyl wrap on the car. A lot of the 3M ones look really good.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a friend that vinyl wrapped his 06 civic coupe and it looks sexy as hell, never seen it in person though so I can't say how it actually looks but the pictures make it look like a nice paintjob.

Kevin Glover

I have a friend that vinyl wrapped his 06 civic coupe and it looks sexy as hell, never seen it in person though so I can't say how it actually looks but the pictures make it look like a nice paintjob.
True true. It looks really nice in pictures, and on YouTube, so I assume it'll look good in person. I mean the Gloss vinyl, will prob look different than Gloss paint, but from videos it looks promisingly good. And vinyl is cheap compared to paint, even though from what I read, the time it lasts is only like a year, or two, I don't mind re-vinyl'ing or w/e it's called the car, ever two years. I am OCD about washing my car also, so I can keep the vinyl clean, and away from gravel, all that stuff. But ya I've heard a lot good stuff from people that have Vinyl'd their cars :3

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

We have 2 customers here that have their Panameras (1 a first gen and one new) wrapped. Both in matte white. One looks fantastic, the other terrible. It all depends on who is doing the wrap. It is easy to **ck it up. The wrap color is good on both but the seams, lines, any bubbles, the cuts, and if it is done as one giant piece on the large parts is the key. You can't tell the new one is a wrap, the older one is very obvious though. One looks professional and the other looks like a obvious garage job.

I haven't done a full wrap (only helped do a hatch on a GTi, and a couple hoods so far) but I have heard it can be a challenge. You will definitely want to have some buddies help you out, especially with the large parts like the hood.

Kevin Glover

OMG What wrap brand is the purple one! That looks sick .0.

3M Has a nice gloss purple, but man, if I can find out what brand that bike is using for the wrap, I'll get that :3

We have 2 customers here that have their Panameras (1 a first gen and one new) wrapped. Both in matte white. One looks fantastic, the other terrible. It all depends on who is doing the wrap. It is easy to **ck it up. The wrap color is good on both but the seams, lines, any bubbles, the cuts, and if it is done as one giant piece on the large parts is the key. You can't tell the new one is a wrap, the older one is very obvious though. One looks professional and the other looks like a obvious garage job.

I haven't done a full wrap (only helped do a hatch on a GTi, and a couple hoods so far) but I have heard it can be a challenge. You will definitely want to have some buddies help you out, especially with the large parts like the hood.
Ya I have some friends locally that work in garages, that do wraps for cars, so I'll have them help me out :3

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't know the brand but that's a galaxy wrap and the hood on the honda and trunk are done galaxy to

Kevin Glover

I don't know the brand but that's a galaxy wrap and the hood on the honda and trunk are done galaxy to
I found some similar looking ones, but nothing close to the beauty shown above.

Also check this out! http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/752048O/3m-wrap-film-series-1080-horizontal-color-chart.pdf?fn=GRPH-15-1317_Chart_P3-3_LR_Clean The whole color chart from 3M for their vinyls.

The Satin finish looks good vs. the Matte ones, but I am digging a Gloss wrap. The only purple I see is in a Matte, so I might go with a different color for Gloss. But the Brushed Metal Colors do look nice though, especially the Brushed Titanium.

Here is an example of the Satin finish: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YzIFhvtWWzk/maxresdefault.jpg Looks like Matte but a bit smoother, and has a somewhat minimal gloss. (Sorry it's not a Civic :/)

I do like how Matte/Satin looks, cause it has a simple, smooth touch to it. I've been a fan of Matte finishes for a really long time.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey! I found this stuff at my local AutoZone for $8 a can! + If I buy like 10 cans, I get a 10% discount overall! http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-MC204-Purple-Metal-Anodized/dp/B002NGPFFE How o you think this would look on the car? Close to the OP photo? The dude at the store said it would work on the body of the car just fine, input? Thanks! :3
Metalcast is for metal surfaces, not body color. Read the details. That store clerk has no clue what he speaks of. Mmmmmaybe it would work with the use of adhesion promoter but then your supply cost will go up much more. Its just not worth it, especially with what I explained before that it will skyrocket your prep work if & when you want to have a professional paint job.

We have one member who rattle canned his car while fully understanding that its a temporary thing and doesnt care as its not a daily driver car.

You might as well just plasti-dip it for now while you save up for a real paint job.

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
Metalcast is for metal surfaces, not body color. Read the details. That store clerk has no clue what he speaks of. Mmmmmaybe it would work with the use of adhesion promoter but then your supply cost will go up much more. Its just not worth it, especially with what I explained before that it will skyrocket your prep work if & when you want to have a professional paint job.

We have one member who rattle canned his car while fully understanding that its a temporary thing and doesnt care as its not a daily driver car.

You might as well just plasti-dip it for now while you save up for a real paint job.

My ed6 hatch will be painted whole in primer white as a permanent paint job just because I'm poor as f**k. :D

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My ed6 hatch will be painted whole in primer white as a permanent paint job just because I'm poor as f**k. :D
Ha! If being broke is the issue but youre handy & willing to put in the man hours, then I suggest to prep & sand it yourself while you save money & coupons to buy the spray gun at Harbor Freight. Save a little extra to buy single stage paint from a shop and paint it yourself.

I will add that a color like that purple with such depth cannot be done decently on a low budget, so consider a simpler color to make due while you save for a better paibt job down the line. Regardless of your choice, I wish you luck.

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
Ha! If being broke is the issue but youre handy & willing to put in the man hours, then I suggest to prep & sand it yourself while you save money & coupons to buy the spray gun at Harbor Freight. Save a little extra to buy single stage paint from a shop and paint it yourself.

I will add that a color like that purple with such depth cannot be done decently on a low budget, so consider a simpler color to make due while you save for a better paibt job down the line. Regardless of your choice, I wish you luck.

lmao oh of course I got to put in the man hours on my hatch I mean I don't do half ass jobs on my cars. Those fenders I painted without prep, sanding...those fender isn't in that great cond so thats why I don't really care about it but once I'm ready to paint whole thing and yup there will be many man hours on it, I don't know about buying spray gun. To be honest with you I've never use spray gun ever. I mostly use rattlecans whole of the time...and a lot of my friends and people couldn't believe it's a rattlecan job. I might reconsidering myself to buy a spray gun and a real paint job as champions white and some satin black(rattlecan) but thank you sir!