Need help w/2006 civic EX manifold Cat

CivicUser

5+ Year Member
Hey guys. I have been getting the dreaded P0420 code and have come to the conclusion that with 150k miles its time to get a new cat. While avoiding the stealership I found a quote from my local shop for about $1100. Since my Civic is probably only worth about $6k I will not put in $1k for a cat. No Emissions testing here where I live. I am just annoyed with my CE light. So I am working with a local junk yard to try to find replacement parts.

I have two questions.

1. Anyone know of a decently priced aftermarket manifold and cat anywhere that doesn't cost the meineke $930?

2. I am moderatly mechanic and am thinking about taking this install on myself. Anyone know of a thread showing the replacement of the cat/manifold?

Any help would be appreciated.

CivicUser

5+ Year Member
Update, Found the parts on http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ for about $400. Also asking around at the local junkyards although 2006 is still new.

I did also find the replacement instructions in the tech manual.. Seems pretty easy.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that is pricey for ANY cat converter..might be cheaper to just get an aftermarket cat or test pipe and take it to a tuner to turn your o2 sensors off, but you might have to get a small tune, not really sure

when i got my boosted civic tuned i turned off both o2 sensors because i had both of them removed..never saw a check engine light for them

CivicUser

5+ Year Member
Just waiting for my parts now. The one I bought is a direct bolt genuine Honda part. Figured that be the most trustworthy direction to go.

Bought a new gasket for the cat as well.