New here. Considering a Civic purchase...

smitty5150

Currently driving an 02 Trailblazer that I have had for the last 6 years. It was modded, but has been put back to stock since I am planning to get rid of it. I've been shopping around for a new(used) vehicle. Just something I can either trade for mine or buy straight up with the cash I get for selling. Although I love muscle cars, gas is already killing me with my current ride. I decided I wanted something with the same potential for mods and fun that is a little more budget friendly. Trying to start a business AND save for a wedding. I was looking for mini trucks until I came across this decent looking 98 EX. I've always kinda liked imports and the civic seems like the obvious choice. Reliable, fun, easy to maintain, and inexpensive to play with.

Car is a 98 EX coupe, 5 speed amd a 1.6(not sure if D or B series) Has 176k and has a few mods that I can see. AEM short ram, full exhaust(looks like it), wheels(Rota??), and maybe lowered. Look clean except for the dent I think is present on the drivers fender. Haven't looked in person yet. Wouldn't mind a few opinions before making the trip to see it. Pulled this pic from the website(yes, it is a dealer. but the price seems on point). Asking price is $3000

Based on appearance alone, it looks like a really good starting point. Opinions?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. The 1.6L in that 98 ex, assuming it's the stock motor, is a D16Y8. So, d-series.

Personally, I prefer buying cars that are bone stock to start with, but that's just me. What kind of plans do you have for it? (if you purchase it)

smitty5150

For that one in particular, I'm pretty ok with what it has for a dd. I would obviously go over everything, changing all fluids and servicing anything in need. I would swap the short ram for a cold air, maybe do a little top end motor work. Yellow fogs, projector retrofit in the heads, led tails, si wing, leather seats. I am guessing the exhaust is going to be loud for my taste, looks like the N1 style...I would want to swap that for a greddy sp catback. And, of course, some nice audio.

I like my vehicles to be clean and tasteful

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds good. Any pics of previously modded cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve.21

Looks good. And if you do get it, don't cheap out on parts. eBay Will look tempting, but you get what you pay for. And welcome to the site.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it looks ok..seems like the front tire is sticking too far out though..not sure if its worth $3000 IMO..I've seen better shaped ones local for the same price, but its that all you can find and you like it go for it. Remember your going to have to pay tax as well since its from a dealership so you can maybe try to talk them down a bit and make it $3000 out the door or less

smitty5150

Being a dealership, I doubt it is worth the $3000. If I decide it worth it, lowball at $2300 and try to settle @$2500 is the idea. They have a bunch of other photos...I think the wheel looms like its sticking out because the fender is pushed in on the bottom by the rocker. I can either fix or replace that without much effort.

And Ive had my bouts with eBay already. I do buy from there, but I stick to the known quality parts.

emerican

Registered VIP
It looks pretty good, but like you said with tax and everything else youll have to pay at a dealership id attempt to talk them down i paid 2300 for my 98 ex only thing wrong with it was a little damage above both rear wheeels and a dent in the fender.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And if you do get it, don't cheap out on parts. eBay Will look tempting, but you get what you pay for.
You can get good parts for a good price on eBay, you just have to be educated enough about what to look for and what to stay away from.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As for the car, $3k seems to be on the high end, but realize, it's a dealer and he's in it to make some money, hopefully he's willing to negotiate.
For me, I'm biased because I ABSOLUTELY hate that color green and would never even consider it.:lol:

And Ive had my bouts with eBay already. I do buy from there, but I stick to the known quality parts.
That's what many ppl don't realize, then blame eBay for them not knowing.
Especially in this type of crowd, filled with kids who think they know it all and want quality parts for nothing, which is why you see so many hack job projects!
Champagne dreams, Boone's farm budget!

smitty5150

As for the car, $3k seems to be on the high end, but realize, it's a dealer and he's in it to make some money, hopefully he's willing to negotiate.
For me, I'm biased because I ABSOLUTELY hate that color green and would never even consider it.:lol:

That's what many ppl don't realize, then blame eBay for them not knowing.
Especially in this type of crowd, filled with kids who think they know it all and want quality parts for nothing, which is why you see so many hack job projects!
Champagne dreams, Boone's farm budget!
If it is a strong runner, I will work the best deal I can. I would already be taking a hit on my truck, the goal is to walk with as much mod money in hand as possible.

I know about the kids....the ones that sit at a stop light redlining because it makes them cool, even though they are driving a pos that looks like it drove through a JC Whitney catalog. I believe in clean, quality modification and in taking care of your ride. I learned on classic muscle...no cutting corners there.

This is what I trading from. It is back to stock now, but I put a lot of work into it over the years.

Lowered:

After I got tired of rock chips:

It is a hell of a shock to go from that to a Honda.

cuetip

Registered VIP
dude just get it looks sweet, and like the fellow members say if u go ebay just pay attention to what u buy u dont want any pos stuff... name brand is the way to go, if u have to find parts through this site, and hit up jay jay