New Member 1st Ever Honda

scott.lacroix1

You wanna get a skunk 2 intakeanofold with throttle body get a chipped ecu (hondata) tune it and the for first mods a stage 1 or 2 clutch would not hurt

Sent from my C6530N using Tapatalk

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You wanna get a skunk 2 intakeanofold with throttle body get a chipped ecu (hondata) tune it and the for first mods a stage 1 or 2 clutch would not hurt

Sent from my C6530N using Tapatalk
What are you basing that recommendation off of? The y8 intake manifold and throttle body is not a bottleneck on his stock set up. Again why spend $500 to convert to obd1 and net single digit HP gains with S300. There's no need for a stage 1 clutch with a stock or near stock D16.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome man! Like the car! I remember learning manual transmission.....I hated it! Now, 7 cars later....I love it!!!!

Anyways, I can't wait to see what this evolves into!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alpine makes some of the best quality headunits out there, in my opinion. I always recommend MB Quart speakers because theyre amazingly clear at all levels, but if you plan to go without a bass set-up then I would suggest JL Audio or Kicker speakers inside for a little more fullness at the low end. Also keep in mind that Alpine has some small 4channel amps that plug directly between the headnits harness with no wiring needed. Itll boost your RMS wattage to 45 per cjannel or so.

If you just want brighter headlights, why not just upgrade to PIAA bulbs? If HIDs are what you want then youre already on the right track.

In regards to suspension, I say take your time researching rims and drop heights you like, then decide which one youre more deadset on. I personally picked a comfortable ride height first because that matters more to me. You may end up being deadset on a set of 16" rims which would need a little less drop than 15"s. It all comes down to your preference in rim size.

By the way, you seem to be on top of your research which is great. Not enough new members do so. I like pointing it out to those that do. Youre definitely an a good educated direction. Congrats on the manual EX. I look forward to your progress.

sjonesd3

Welcome man! Like the car! I remember learning manual transmission.....I hated it! Now, 7 cars later....I love it!!!!

Anyways, I can't wait to see what this evolves into!
Whoa I'm super late just now seeing some of these. So far it's fun just gotta get my downshifting smoother. I've been reading about heel-toe technique, just have to find a nice open spot to practice it. My shifts aren't too bad just my 1st is shaky only sometimes. Definitely improving that though.

sjonesd3

Alpine makes some of the best quality headunits out there, in my opinion. I always recommend MB Quart speakers because theyre amazingly clear at all levels, but if you plan to go without a bass set-up then I would suggest JL Audio or Kicker speakers inside for a little more fullness at the low end. Also keep in mind that Alpine has some small 4channel amps that plug directly between the headnits harness with no wiring needed. Itll boost your RMS wattage to 45 per cjannel or so.

If you just want brighter headlights, why not just upgrade to PIAA bulbs? If HIDs are what you want then youre already on the right track.

In regards to suspension, I say take your time researching rims and drop heights you like, then decide which one youre more deadset on. I personally picked a comfortable ride height first because that matters more to me. You may end up being deadset on a set of 16" rims which would need a little less drop than 15"s. It all comes down to your preference in rim size.

By the way, you seem to be on top of your research which is great. Not enough new members do so. I like pointing it out to those that do. Youre definitely an a good educated direction. Congrats on the manual EX. I look forward to your progress.
Thanks for the props. And I'm sure a lot of people don't research, I'm on a Bonneville forum as well and a lot of repetitive questions come up. Never heard of PIAA bulbs unless I have and just didn't know the name. So far the rims that I'm looking at are the Enkei 92. I've always like BBS rs rims and these will fit with my Stormtrooper theme. http://www.amazon.com/Enkei-ENKEI92-Machined-Wheels-465-570-4938BK/dp/B007OX81L6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1443469518&sr=8-6&keywords=Enkei+92

sjonesd3

Ok so I found out why my shifting is feeling bad. My cousin was driving my car and I asked him why he was shifting so high (4000 rpms). He told me that was perfectly. I was previously shifting between 2500-3000. I had previously heard that I should always shift before 3000. I "thought" that I would mess up my tranny going past 3000 constantly.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please elaborate on your defimition of "bad shift feel" because your cousin is wrong. What do you feel is an issue when shifting at lower RPMs?

You should not be regularly shifting at 4000 RPMs. Depending on your tranny, your OPTIMAL shift point will fall somewhere between 2000-2800 RPMs for standard driving and maybe 3000-4500 within spirited sporty driving.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Please elaborate on your defimition of "bad shift feel" because your cousin is wrong. What do you feel is an issue when shifting at lower RPMs?

You should not be regularly shifting at 4000 RPMs. Depending on your tranny, your OPTIMAL shift point will fall somewhere between 2000-2800 RPMs for standard driving and maybe 3000-4500 within spirited sporty driving.
No one is wrong here, every car/tranny will be different. Nothing wrong with taking the car up to 4000rpm at all and Infact transzex the tranny guru on d-series.org says that d series like slightly higher rpm for better mileage. I used to take my hx up to 6500rpm constantly (every gear except 5th and every time I drove it) for 3 years and never had any issues with it, later I installed my turbo and drove slightly less like a mad man because I didn't need to since I had all that extra power.

sjonesd3

After completing the shift it feels like a slight chug (maybe not giving it enough gas). I'vebeen shifting at around 3500 give or higher, and it's been feeling smother.