Quick 6th-Gen LX Header Question...

JohnnyWas

Not Banned
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is the LX header/cat combo the same length as an EX header alone?
that is to say an EX header w.out a cat.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JohnnyWas said:
Is the LX header/cat combo the same length as an EX header alone?
that is to say an EX header w.out a cat.
if your idea is to put an ex header on the lx (y7) it will bolt up.

the issue at hand is the fact that it bypasses the catalytic converter, thus resulting in an engine code due to the lack of the cat. thus, resulting in a loss of low end anyway.

to answer your question, yes it will fit on.

but contemplate the consequences as well, and the work you will need to put into it.

JohnnyWas

Not Banned
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hatch said:
if your idea is to put an ex header on the lx (y7) it will bolt up.

the issue at hand is the fact that it bypasses the catalytic converter, thus resulting in an engine code due to the lack of the cat. thus, resulting in a loss of low end anyway.

to answer your question, yes it will fit on.

but contemplate the consequences as well, and the work you will need to put into it.
okay, now if i lose low end - how much are we talking?
also - will i be sacrificing the low for high-end?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JohnnyWas said:
okay, now if i lose low end - how much are we talking?
also - will i be sacrificing the low for high-end?
for simplicitys sake, yes.

i ran no cat on my sohc vtec, and i put the cat back on, i gained alot of low end responsiveness. the best way to learn is to try it out for yourself. and see what you like best.

or you can just relocate your cat. its not bad at all.

JohnnyWas

Not Banned
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hatch said:
for simplicitys sake, yes.

i ran no cat on my sohc vtec, and i put the cat back on, i gained alot of low end responsiveness. the best way to learn is to try it out for yourself. and see what you like best.

or you can just relocate your cat. its not bad at all.

ok, well right now i have a tanabe exhaust, which has a pretty decent sized resonator in the mid-pipe. will this serve me enough backpressure that a loss won't be noticable?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JohnnyWas said:
ok, well right now i have a tanabe exhaust, which has a pretty decent sized resonator in the mid-pipe. will this serve me enough backpressure that a loss won't be noticable?
again, its hard to say for every specific setup.

throw the header on there. bypass the cat. and see for youself. you can always put it back to normal assuming you dont break s**t.

snail415

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a Megan Racing header, Magnaflow direct-fit catalytic converter(for an EX), and Brospeed catback exhaust(EX) that I'll be installing tomorrow. From all the reading I've done, all should work. I purchased a 3' extension for the cat sensor from Casper Electronics. Shouldn't throw any codes whatsoever. I'm excited about the install because my stock manifold is cracked, and looks like a very crappy design. The Megan header actually looks solid with clean welds and all the gaskets I'd ever need.

I'll keep you posted.

Achilles1981

5+ Year Member
i did a DIY on my HX with DC 4-2-1's and a holley thundermuff exhuast.. still working out the kinks, but its definitely worth doing