Rear wiring problems

philbrickvw

Hello folks - I normally fix VWs but I'm helping a friend with her 1991 Honda Civic DX. Discovered a strange wiring problem.

I was checking out her rear window wiper motor that isn't working. Here is a list of info about all the wiring in the rear hatch. All fuses are working but I have not had the chance to check relays.

- Only one of the wiper motor wires gets power. If I recall correctly, it is the solid green wire. This wire only gets power when the rear wiper switch is on and the defroster button is pressed.

- The rear brake light does not work with the brakes but stays on when the rear defroster switch is on

- the rear defroster does work

- I checked the wires as best I could. The only break I found was it appears the factory crimped the ground wire from the defroster to the ground on the wiper motor.

Any ideas how I can get the rear brake light back? Could the problem be with a relay?

Thanks in advance!

RonJ

Banned
The only break I found was it appears the factory crimped the ground wire from the defroster to the ground on the wiper motor.
This^ is causing all of the problems. The rear brake lightd and rear wiper motor share a common ground wire (G511/G551). The crimp has likely broken this common ground and fused it with the ground for the rear window defogger (G821). You need to fix this by running a new ground wire for the defogger that is separated from the common ground for the brake lights and wiper motor.