So I just bought my first Civic...

Gilderon

...and I'd like some advice on what parts to upgrade. I consider the car fun transportation, so I'm not looking for performance, but rather fuel economy, stamina and reliability. It's a 1997 Civic DX. 107,000 miles. It's all stock, barring a brand new alternator. Any ideas? I'd prefer to go with the less expensive options first. Thank you.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're not looking for performance, there is no need to upgrade any parts.

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DX, is the most fuel efficient model, just maintain it and ur good.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Technically, an intake, header, and exhaust will increase gas mileage. But for the amount of money you'll spend compared to the slight increase in gas mileage, it wouldn't be worth it. My friend got 40mpg in his 99 ex. 35+ is REALLY good. If you're not getting at least 30, do a tune-up first.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tune up, and if you have steelies. Look into getting hx or vx wheels. they are much lighter

Spoonsedan

5+ Year Member
What do you mean by stamina?

Tune up should be one of the first things to do when you get a used car unless the previous owner already did it.

emerican

Registered VIP
Full tune up oil change and fuel system cleaner is what i would do i never trust the preivous owners maitence. If your looking just for gas money than buying i/h/e isnt really gonna be worth it even with really cheap parts you will have at least two hundred into it and see not very much difference in gas mileage.

92sedancivic

HONDA
everything has a price start with cheap bolt on like 4-2-1 headers cold air intake plugs wires cap rotor change oil stage 2 clutch if its a 5 speed plenty of things to do exhaust system 3in piping high flow cat fuel filter if old fuel pump if old better flow more gas better mileage lower little (looks) tint the windows repaint if needed rims 16s dont want to over due it NO BODY KIT maybe a lip but thats it yellow fogs hids 8000K or better stay away from chrome go with a bronze gold even black rims on black paint blue paint red or even white with black hood so many ways to make a civic look good and run good its your honda just thought i would throw some stuff at you

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
everything has a price start with cheap bolt on like 4-2-1 headers cold air intake plugs wires cap rotor change oil stage 2 clutch if its a 5 speed plenty of things to do exhaust system 3in piping high flow cat fuel filter if old fuel pump if old better flow more gas better mileage lower little (looks) tint the windows repaint if needed rims 16s dont want to over due it NO BODY KIT maybe a lip but thats it yellow fogs hids 8000K or better stay away from chrome go with a bronze gold even black rims on black paint blue paint red or even white with black hood so many ways to make a civic look good and run good its your honda just thought i would throw some stuff at you
I don't see this post as being helpful at all except telling the OP to get a new fuel filter. And the OP wasn't looking for performance.

1. Cold air intakes are dangerous for hydro locking if the OP sees a lot of rain driving. It's easier than you think. The power difference between short ram and cold air on a D-Series is pretty much nothing.
2. A 3inch exhaust on a stock D-Series will make it LOSE power and be obnoxiously loud. I wouldn't be surprised if it lowered gas mileage.
3. The OP doesn't need a high flow cat.
4. 8000K is a waste of money, let alone a plug and play HID kit. If you're going to get HID's, you should be using projector headlights. And 4300K offers the best visibility.

shinobi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is this what you did to your first civic? just curious haha