Speaker replacement. 6th gen

JaredB

5+ Year Member
Looking to replace my front and rear speakers, that is the goal. Car is a 1996 Honda Civic Sedan LX.

Now, I went and bought some cheap ass crap ass speakers from Walmart, (front and rear) just to get by until I could afford to do something different. Then found out that my OEM crappier speakers have three screws holding them in and the ones I bought have 4 screw holes.

Also, the 6.5 inch speakers do not fit into the space that my OEM speaker does. I mean, it fits, but I can't put the OEM grill back on, which is definitely a must for me right now, Going as OEM as possible, even with small crap like this.

So, my questions are.

1. Is there an after market speaker out there that will screw straight into my car?
2. What size speaker would be needed to fit my OEM Speaker Grills?

Anyone?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im assuming your talking about front. Ok well its definately do able. I had to trim out the plastic thats behind since most likely your magnet is larger. This willl provide more space. You can make these speakers fit with the grill. Second, you will be fine with four. just take the speaker and either drill three holes and make it line up, or you can do what i did and take screws and just screw through the panel and make new holes. ive been like this for over a year now and its just fine. Hope this helped. Also for wiring, your factory speakers have a special clip that plugs into the speaker. you can eithe cut this off and tap in, leave it on and tap in, or i have even see adapter pieces. IMO i would just cut it off since you wont be returning back to factory speakers. So in the end just trip that plastic out inside and make new holes

JaredB

5+ Year Member
Do you think I could do this without removing the door panels? Like, how much would I need to take off?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shouldnt need to remove the door panel. and i took out everything that wasnt really needed. like once it starts to go into the door panel if that makes sense. the mounting surface that it screws into. i cut out everthing within that. Hope that helps and makes sense

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol when in doubt, make it fit. I know it can

JaredB

5+ Year Member
Yeah. I may en up having to take the door panel off and using a dremel to cut it out. Tried using a small handheld saw that I have laying around my house and it's worked most of the way but near the window track I just can't do it. And it's the only thing I have that is handheld that will come close to working. Lol. Guess it is a good thing I'm planning on taking my headliner out this weekend.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need to take your headliner out to get the panels off? and i used a dremel to get mine off while it was still on??? post pics if possible to make sure we are on the same page. lol this is pretty simple if we are just talking about your door speakers

JaredB

5+ Year Member
Lol I know I don't need to take my headliner out to get the door panels off. I'm just saying that I might as well since I'm ripping other s**t out too. Lol. I'll try to get pics up today of my door panels. But yes I am currently trying to replace my door speakers in my 1996 sedan lol.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok. well i have a couple and im thinking of the front doors. rear im not sure how they are set up. i cant remember lol