Time Lapse Photography HELP!

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know this is a car forum.. but i know that alot of you here have spent ALOT of time with your cameras to develop a special bond with them...

i am coming to you for help. im not here for the car help... ive seen what you guys can do with cameras...

ive been interested in time lapse photography for a long time... ever since getting my D40 2 years ago.

i have everything required for it. i have a tripod, i have the AC adapter for my D40 so i dont use batteries. i am using Camera Control Pro 2 from Nikon as my intervalometer and image handling software. and im using Quick time PRO to stitch it all together at 30 FPS

i love to shoot the weather. i mean its a passion. so... obviously i would shoot alot of time lapse of the clouds moving and storms and such. i have over 40000 images alone just from time lapse already.

here is a link to my youtube and the 2 that i have published so far.

tell me what you think..

my biggest problem is setting the camera up for the time lapse. more the exposure im having an issue with..

i cant seem to set the camera for the transitional period and into the night. id like to set it in manual mode to shoot through the night because the auto selection doesnt do what i want it to do. i want to shoot atleast a 20 second exposure with an aperture of 5.6 to 8 ....holy f**k a bird just flew in the window... anyway. at night the auto setting of the camera leaves the shutter open about 2 seconds with the same aperture.

i could set it to aperture priority but again the shutter speed is too low.

i also read a blog post about time lapse and it told me i should have no problem shooting with a 1.3sec shutter speed and an aperture of 2.3 during daylight... however. my camera doesnt go that low and at f/3.5 and 1.3 seconds i get a white image. i dont start getting a proper image till the shutter is at 1/40 sec. there is a huge gap there.

i thikn the main reason for my long exposure times.. .is... during thunderstorms.. .there is lightning... i like to capture the lightning.

this image was shot in manual using a 30 sec exposure.

i will post up my other videos once im done handling them... i also need help there as well. right now im just taking the images... and letting quicktime do the work then exporting it from quicktime to a .MOV then uploading it to youtube. id like to add text and maybe music to it... but im not good with movie editing.

i dont have photoshop... and dont plan on getting it... so.. dont even ask...lol

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can someone please fix my spelling error in the title please?