turbo or supercahrger on my 2000 civic ex

naumce3

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey hows it going i got my 2000 civic ex and i got a sohc d16y8 motor in it. it has a light weight flywheel, act clutch, jdm trans, aem cold air and some other minor stuff done to it. i just raced a 96 ex with a b16a jdm swap and i lost by a car length between his rear bumper and my front. i want to turo it or supercharge it but i am having a hard time trying to figure out whitch to do and whats the best way to do it. please let me know thatns nick

chile

meat popsicle
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here's a link to read up....i'm thinking of going turbo....but i got a big sissy automatic that makes my exhaust sound like el crap.

http://www.turbod16.com/

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think that you should think about swap before turboing a d16....I have a 2000 ex as well and you can get just about the same horse power with WAY MORE RELIABILITY and then you can still turbo that...the car would be FAST....think of a b series, like b18c1 or b1c5

00civic24

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
don't do anyhting to it an automatic isnt worth that money... imo.

ctx

Evo8 or Turbo'd Ls/Vtec?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo is way cheaper than swaping the engine... u will get the same hp and its juss as reliable if you tune it right

RiceGirl

Luv my labbie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would swap out your d16y8 and put in a b16a. Then put in a Vortech Supercharger and of course your going to have to do some internal engine upgrades ( like timing belt,etc.). Then you'll have the hp your looking for. ;)

Click Here to see set up I was talking about. 8)

Last edited:

ImportFever96

no rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bro i thought of turboing my d series but it depends too how much mile u got on it?... w/ my mile i would have get new pistol n all da crap for the engine so.... for me it's cheaper to swap...than turbo..

zeb

JDM yO!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a d16y8.....i liek going teh hard way...so i just got my7 d16y8 turbod with a greddy kit all teh way. i have to rebuild my engine now for teh turbo so it becomes reliable..... doing the swap is a easy way of gaining HP which i think is messed up.

ekshowciv

I'm in Japan Bitches!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude i say swap it yopu are going to have a more reliable engine with more bas hp that you can turbo or sc later.

ExcelcivicSi

JDM Biatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i think in the long run you need to do a swap first..then get the turbo on. if you do the swap and then turbo down the line your going to get sooo much power out a DOHC motor than a SOHC, but don't get me wrong d series can be pretty quick to. if you don't have the money for the swap do turbo but i think you should strengthen up your block you you want a boost a good amount safely. i gotta a buddy on H-T and he's runnin 260whp on hin d-series but he is boostin 14 daily with a fully built motor.

and if you need help gettin a good deal on turbos' click on my Enduro Motorsports link he can help you out man ;)

good luck

lagingtorpe

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is a very cheap greddy kit on ebay right now less than 1500 way less... if you go search you will see it... if you want i can post teh link for you...

naumce3

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats for your guys help i think that im going to supercharge. i just got a used kit for 700 bucks and i think that it will do for now then i can do other things like a swap to my car next year.

vejita1283

import mechanic and racer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol turbo cheaper then swapping? turbo kits alone cost about $5k, thats if you want a decent turbo. secondly, always swap if your going inforced duction. D series arent ment for that kind of compression on your engine

boostinhb77

EK wHore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vejita1283 said:
lol turbo cheaper then swapping? turbo kits alone cost about $5k, thats if you want a decent turbo. secondly, always swap if your going inforced duction. D series arent ment for that kind of compression on your engine
1st off you can get a clean turbo kit for under 5Gs and secondly besides a ls there really isnt any other honda swap that would be good for turbo, but edelbrock makes some pretty sick turbo kits for a d16y8

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Finally someone is going to go the different route and go SC and not turbo. I think thats best right now for you considering your gonna swap the engine out next year and that you got the SC for that price.

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also you can get a more than decent turbo for 3Gs or less.