Wiper motor works on hi speed only. Will not return "home". Help please

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
So after doing some searching, I couldn't find all the info I think I need to cover all my bases. Can someone please fill anything they see missing from my troubleshooting i'll be doing later today?

As the title says, my wipers only work on hi and do not return to the home position when the switch is turned off. I have to let them hit home, then quickly go to off and hope i'm fast enough to get them to stay down. So...

1. Assume fuse is good since the wipers do turn on. (I know what happens when you assume things)
2. Check the 5 pin connector at the wiper motor by doing the "wiper motor test".
3. I read there is a relay, but I can't seem to find where it is in a diagram exactly. Behind the fuse panel under the dash is as far as I read, but nobody told the guy specifically where. RockAuto doesn't list a wiper relay that I can find so this confuses me. Part number anyone?
4. The ICM appears to control the "return to home" function so I was going to go snatch one from a junk yard 97 civic near my house. I see on RockAuto, they are the same.
5. Replace the switch, though I may just see if it's fixable or check the connections. Might do this 1st or 2nd now that I think about it.
6. I've seen the SRS come up a few times in my search. I can't find a wiring diagram of the wiper function so if anyone can point me in the right direction on this i'd appreciate it. My SRS light is on and I assume (again, I know) that's because the plug is disconnected at the steering wheel. Where the cruise control switches are, mine is pulled out which is on a yellow connector. SRS correct and does this have any wiper wiring involved?

Anyone have anything to add or tips to try?

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wiper motor return relay is bad

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Ok, so this doesn't really help me. Where is this relay 1, and 2, is this relay different than the ICM which controls (or at least has some function) the return to home function as I understand it? Part number?

Details please! ... and thank you =)

EDIT: Just got back from the junk yard. They have a 98 civ 4 door which they claim does not share ICM's though RockAuto says they do. I'm not really sure but they want $115 for it! I'm not about to pay that much for something that may or may not even fix anything. I believe this is the unit most people refer to as the "relay". It's the size of 6 relays put together and sits on the back side of the fuse panel. Anyway, after doing some thinking about it, because I have two problems with my wipers that seem to be controlled by two different things, I'm wondering if the wiper switch is more than likely to be bad.