Wrecked my 98 Civic - Need Repairs Advice

BudsMckenzie

Ok, so this is what might happen whens its 3am, 34degrees, pouring rain, and you slide in to a curb at 40mph. The front left seems ok, the front right wheel assembly is bent back and rubbing the body of the car. I had to drive it about a mile after it happened so it would be easier to meet AAA, which leads me to believe the axle might be ok? ive heard worst case scenario the sub frame could be bent? control arms? any input would be appreciated. I can do all but the most difficult repairs but i am no good at diagnostics. its barely driveable and i dont want to tow or drive it to a shop only to have to take it back home once they tell me ill have to pay far out the ass. lol

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kind of hard to really tell from the pictures posted..the best thing to do is either take it to a shop and get it fixed, sell it, or get a friend who knows more on cars to take a look at it

gugiey

Registered VIP
from what I see . your control arm is bent most likely . same with your axle probably. and your tie rod end .
I would take the tire off and look at what's bent .

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had the same issue on my tercel when i hit a curb and it was just the control arm.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take it a part if its bent or broken replace it. prolly get parts from a junk yard to keep it cheap.

BudsMckenzie

Taking it to a shop isn't really an option as it isn't mobile, my friend who I consult for car related matters lives across the country at the moment, and nothing looks bent...? I guess I'm just going to replace upper and lower CA's, inner and outer tie rod ends and go from there.. Lol

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had the same exact thing happen to me only difference is that I was trying to avoid a lady who cut me off and I locked up the brakes.

The lower control arm was bent and I replaced the axle too since I had the whole thing apart and it had 114k miles on it. not to mention my rim was shot lol. it wasn't that hard to fix maybe a day and a half worth of work

BudsMckenzie

Nice, that's alot of help, it's good to see an example of the same problem. I've already ordered new front upper and lower CA's and inner/outer tie rod ends. Next week when I get paid I plan on ordering new axles to be on the safe side. Got some body work to do also... Boy it's great when you wreck a lowered car. Lol

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as far as the body work goes i just used a rubber mallet and i thin a trash can to hammer it out. its not perfect, and the metal has some wrinkles in it but it looks a whole lot better than before.

here's a pic of the finished product. since my front shocks were blown I took the opportunity to change them out and its lower than it used to be

BudsMckenzie

It looks fine from the picture, after that happened and you made the repairs did you have any alignment problems? I'll post again with all the parts I order, and some pics when it doesn't look like s**t..

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no not really... I haven't gotten the alignment done actually, there aren't any places in san antonio that could do it cause it was so low (3 inches of clearance at the front jack points and 4 inches at the bottom of the front bumper) and the one place that could do it wouldn't cause the guy was a d-bag about it being lowered. but despite that fact I have had perfect tire wear and have driven about 3k miles since its happened

BudsMckenzie

Ok, so I just ordered EVERYTHING I could afford for the repairs.. Parts are as follows:

-OE front lca's
-OE front upper ca's
-OE rear upper ca's
-Blue Anodized rear lca's
-OE inner and outer tie rod ends
-Newpoint 1 inch lowering springs

-Stoptech street performance drilled and slotted 10 inch rotors
-Stoptech street performance pads

-OE replacement bumper
-OE replacement fenders
-OE replacement headlights
-JDM yellow fog lights
-Front lip

Ervting. Lol.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
salvage yard would have been cheaper for some of those parts but sounds like youre off to a really good start