Y5 swap in a ex

MyLittleTeg

OK so my y8 crapped out.... Pissed me off, went and bought a d16y5 with 80k miles. Used my y8 harness as I was told it would work. It will start up and idle fine, but you give it any gas and it falls flat on its face. It will bog and then will rev up but you can tell it doesn't like it... Already swapped injectors, distributor, and plugs....stumped as to what is making it bog....but the only thing I can't plug up is this. Any way to wire it in or bypass it?

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not experienced in engine swaps, but if Im not mistaken your only two options would be to either swap in a Y5 ECU or remove the EGR valve and get or create an EGR block off plate.

MyLittleTeg

I'm not experienced in engine swaps, but if Im not mistaken your only two options would be to either swap in a Y5 ECU or remove the EGR valve and get or create an EGR block off plate.
Thanks, I knew that going from VTEC to VTEC-E would mess me up but not this bad. Just though it might surge a little. I'll get a y5 computer Monday. My buddy told me last night its in limp mode. New bringing over an odb2 scanner to figure out the problem

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You definitely need the y5 ecu to run the motor, y5 has roller rockers and different cam profiles than y8 (depending on your year you might need an obd2a or obd2b y5 ecu). So you put the Y8 injectors into the y5 fuel rail? if so I'm pretty sure they are larger and you will need to swap the y5 injectors back in for the car to run proper. To wire the egr valve you probably will have to run a few individual wire and pin them into the ecu at the correct pins

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you put the Y8 injectors into the y5 fuel rail? if so I'm pretty sure they are larger and you will need to swap the y5 injectors back in for the car to run proper.
The D16Y5 injectors are 190cc while the D16Y8 injectors are 210cc or 220cc (I forget which of the two). However, I believe you can still run the Y8 injectors at the loss of MPG. The ECU should adjust accordingly to the added fuel injection.

MyLittleTeg

The D16Y5 injectors are 190cc while the D16Y8 injectors are 210cc or 220cc (I forget which of the two). However, I believe you can still run the Y8 injectors at the loss of MPG. The ECU should adjust accordingly to the added fuel injection.
Tried both with no change. (Didn't help or hurt my idling problem) kept the y8 injectors but I'll swap it back later

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe all hx use an obd2a harness. They didn't change it for the 99-00 years for some reason. When I got my d series turbo tuned in my 2000 civic hx with a p28 I thought I needed a obd2b-> obd1 but I found out after buying it and trying it on that it was obd2a-> obd1.

MyLittleTeg

Okay so heres an update. Had my buddy come over and that was a quick connect for the vtec plug in. And I bypassed the egr value with no issues. Put in a y5 ecu in it and she Flys down the road for a single cam

And the y8 was in my 98 and the y5 came out of a 96 (same bodystyle)

So if anyone in the future has any issues this should help