Yet another side molding question

SiGuy

CCHB Member #67
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, my car was painted, and they painted over the black side modlings. but now i want them to be black again (car was painted before i owned it) is there any way i can take the paint of to get the original black...or shoudl i just go out and take them off of a car in a junkyard??

thnx for the help.

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like a whole lot of work just to get black side moldings, post a pic of your ride.

SiGuy

CCHB Member #67
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here it is, im getting it painted though, and i wanna get them black once its painted.

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmmm, i think it loos good with red moldings, i wouldnt change it.

bullett72

Bullett
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also like the moldings. I wouldn't go back black. The red looks newer. If you like the black though, the eaisest thing to do is scrapyard.It is a slick little car.

lj17

vsmc #7 cccc #169
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well first, i think you should shave them. second, if you want to keep them, i think they look good matched with the red. but no one cares what i think. if you want your molding black, the easiest would probably be to find some at a junkyard (like they said) or from someone who did shave theirs. BUT, if your getting your car painted, you could have the shop paint your red moldings black. it might cost a little more, but it would probably look better than the stock black ones, because they would be shiny and glossy, like the reast of the paint. it would be a little different from others, most thet i've seen, get them color matched to the color of the car. ;)

SilverStyle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can get the JDM thin side molding or just go to a junk yard and get them

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ljnick17 said:
well first, i think you should shave them. second, if you want to keep them, i think they look good matched with the red. but no one cares what i think. if you want your molding black, the easiest would probably be to find some at a junkyard (like they said) or from someone who did shave theirs. BUT, if your getting your car painted, you could have the shop paint your red moldings black. it might cost a little more, but it would probably look better than the stock black ones, because they would be shiny and glossy, like the reast of the paint. it would be a little different from others, most thet i've seen, get them color matched to the color of the car. ;)
don't shave them, it's stupid and pointless, shaving things like that is pretty expensive and it looks just as good painted

MugenBoy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The bodyshop that repaints your car should be able to remove the paint using a paint remover without damaging the black finish. When we got my brother's CRX painted a few years back, the bodyshop mistakenly painted over his rear molding (but not the sides or front...duh!). When we went to pick the car up and my brother saw it he FLIPPED! The guy who ran the shop quickly came out to the car, poured some liquid on a shop cloth (I don't know what the stuff was to be honest) and quickly whipped off the paint on the molding without even touching the rest of the paint on the rear bumper. And the paint came off effortlessly - you wouldn't even know the molding ever had paint on it!

So before you go out and spend money/time rummaging around a scrap yard, talk to your bodyshop first. They should be able to help you out (after all, seeing as you've PAYING them to repaint your car the least they can do is help you out!)

Good luck.

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
take the moldings off, use some paint thinner and some sand paper and work some magic.