1997 DX hatch

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was gonna ask what ya got for mileage. Glad to see its working out for you. Like I said. Don't worry about the intake too much. Unless your driving through standing water I wouldn't be worried at all.
I was definitely surprised at how good of mileage I was getting. We'll see on my next fillup what a more realistic number is as it will be mixed city/highway driving.

Love it! The intake will be fine unless u go through a deep puddle
Thanks man! I was driving through 2-3" of standing water at some points just because it was raining so hard. I was mainly worried about puddles that I didn't see and accidentally went through. This trip definitely gave me confidence in my setup though.

im trying to fix my idle surge as well. cant find any vacuum leaks, swapped IACV to a known working one, I haven't tried to adjust my idle with the screw yet though
Idle issues are super annoying. Make sure you throttle cable isn't too tight, causing the throttle plate to remain open a little bit when you are off the throttle. This is basically the same as a vacuum leak and when I loosened my throttle cable a little bit, the idle definitely improved.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have one of these, but its for a 2.5" intake. I'll might get a new one, but I feel like it defeats the purpose of a cold air intake haha. I guess that's the price to pay for engine safety.

In other news, I'm taking a class this semester called manufacturing processes which basically teaches you how to work in a machine shop. I'm super excited for it. Assuming I pass, I will have 24-7 access to our school's machine shop. :cool:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its sad. I have access to a machine shop at work and i never use it.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its sad. I have access to a machine shop at work and i never use it.
I love having access to machine shop stuff, it's nice
Honestly, I'm not sure how much I will use it, but it will just be nice to have the option and the knowledge/experience. The only parts that I plan to make so far are some antiroll bar endlinks. Other than that I don't know what I would do for my own car.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, I'm not sure how much I will use it, but it will just be nice to have the option and the knowledge/experience. The only parts that I plan to make so far are some antiroll bar endlinks. Other than that I don't know what I would do for my own car.
make a shift knob, bore out a throttle body, plug wire cover, all types of stuff

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So today, I attempted the "idle relearn" procedure detailed in the Hayne's manual. Unfortunately, it didn't really help. I did notice however that the idle was significantly better with the IACV unplugged leading me to think that is the cause. I tested for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and was unable to locate any. When I come to a stop the idle will fluctuate between 1000 and 1500 for about 20-30 secs and then will drop to 750 like it should be. It's almost there, but there is still some work to do. The next step is to thoroughly clean the IACV. I'll keep you guys updated.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do you just unplug the connector on the IACV when adjusting the idle?
Here is the process I followed. I would just leave the IACV unplugged, but it creates a CEL so its probably better to leave it plugged in.

(click on the image to view full size)

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man your bay looks almost exactly how I want mine to look. Its really nice dood. You did excellent work.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I to work in a machine shop and never use it to my full advantage. One reason is because when it comes to my car I leave it to the professionals. I do great work but I'd rather pay for it to be don't perfect.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man your bay looks almost exactly how I want mine to look. Its really nice dood. You did excellent work.
Thanks man! There are some things I am still not happy with, but I am pretty satisfied with the outcome. When it comes down to it, I'll take a perfectly running car over a perfectly looking car any day of the week.

I to work in a machine shop and never use it to my full advantage. One reason is because when it comes to my car I leave it to the professionals. I do great work but I'd rather pay for it to be don't perfect.
I feel you on that man. You always have to factor in your time and the outcome of the final product. If it's not something you'll be happy with or it will take forever, it is sometimes better just to buy from the professionals.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree with Roma, the bay looks nice.

followed that guide about adjusting idle and when I unplugged my IACV it sat perfect around 4-500 rpms.........plugged it back in and right back to going from 1000-1500........so frustrating

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree with Roma, the bay looks nice.

followed that guide about adjusting idle and when I unplugged my IACV it sat perfect around 4-500 rpms.........plugged it back in and right back to going from 1000-1500........so frustrating
Thanks again man and yeah that's exactly what mine did.