1997 DX hatch

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't need to necessarily use your toe on the brake. Brake higher up and you can get to the accelerator easier. Watch how Orido from Japan does his heel toe since he's tall. Even Ayrton Senna does it depending on the car he was driving.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, don't think of your foot sideways, it won't fit. You have it almost vertical, but with your heel slightly angled towards the passenger side so that you can hit the throttle with it. I just use the very edge of the brake pedal. Its all about feel.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well its been awhile, but I thought I'd let you guys know how things are going since I've got a few free minutes.

At the beginning of the month, I went with some friends to the next to last ever American Le Mans Series race at VIR. It was a ton of fun. I didn't take very many pictures, but here are a few of the better ones.

A whole fleet of K20 powered Ariel Atoms from the Spec Atom series.

Falken Tire Porshe

RLR Z4

The race winning Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD ARX-03A. This thing sounded sweet. One of my friends actually had the awesome opportunity to intern with this team over the weekend. He was at the track the whole weekend helping the engineering team with testing and sat on the pit wall for the race. He's hoping it'll turn into a full time job after he graduates in the spring.

The trip was about 300 miles total which was the longest trip I've taken in the car since I drove it to school. Everything went well and I averaged 35 mpg with 2 other people in the car.

About a week later, I came back from the store, parked my car and noticed a nice little puddle of coolant underneath. It was coming out pretty steadily. I did some investigating and tracked the issue down to a leaky radiator drain plug. I pulled it out and plugged the hole. Turns out the o-ring was shot. Replaced it with a new one and threw some teflon tape on the threads for good measure. Problem solved. While I was under the hood, I sprayed the IACV out with carb cleaner and it seemed to help stabilize the idle. It's still not perfect, but maybe 85-90%.

All in all, I've got about 1200 miles on it since it's been back on the road and no major issues as of yet. I'm pretty pleased with how its running right now.

One last bit of good news, I was accepted for a summer internship position at the Chrysler Motor Company so I'll be living outside of Detroit this summer. Chrysler wasn't my first choice, but not many companies hire sophomores so beggars can't be choosers. I'll have more options next year for sure.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's awesome man! Great update

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn! I didnt know they started putting k's in the atoms!

Good to hear from ya! Glad the car is running well.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ks have been in atoms. NA and supercharged ones. Just like Lotus'. Must be something about those K series engines, hmmm ;)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The atoms i saw tested on top gear uk had ctr and itr engines in them. Guess it only makes sense, but i still want one... I guess

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I never even heard of these, though I had seen that there was one at cars and coffee meet that's not to far away

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
I saw multiple Atoms at the local track day I spectated at a few months back. They had a mix of supercharged and N/A ones there. I even talked to a guy with a 450hp+ turbo'd K in his Atom......the thing was absolutely beast.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That must have been a great event to attend. Hopefully I can get into auto cross next year.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I highly recommend going to races.
Yea I go to the drag strip when I can. I really wanted to attend import vs domestic World Cup Finals this pass weekend but couldn't make it. I plan to do a lot more next year including participating in some events just for fun hopefully drag and autocross if I can get a decent amount of funds for a nice setup. Having a track car is t cheap.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I go to the drag strip when I can. I really wanted to attend import vs domestic World Cup Finals this pass weekend but couldn't make it. I plan to do a lot more next year including participating in some events just for fun hopefully drag and autocross if I can get a decent amount of funds for a nice setup. Having a track car is t cheap.
Sounds like a good plan. You got that right, it is definitely not cheap.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's up dood!? Any holiday updates?
Hey man. I've been absent from the forums for awhile since I've had so much work at school. I'll definitely be doing some stuff to the car over my break. So stay tuned for some small updates.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Guess who's back? Nothing to post tonight, but I'm headed back to school in the morning so that means I should have a decent post this weekend of the little stuff I did over break. Stay tuned!