1997 DX hatch

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This afternoon was pretty productive. I got rid of all my CELs, reset the SRS, and took it out for a drive. Drove it around for about 30 miles with no issues then dropped it off at the shop for inspection and alignment. Hope all goes well.

Two pics I took tonight. Final shot of the engine after first drive.

A much needed wash, getting rid of 1.5 years of dust, dirt, and spiderwebs. (It also revealed how bad the paint is :???:)

So I've got about 50 pics that I took throughout the past 3 weeks as I worked on it. Do you guys want one mega-update or a couple smaller ones? Keep in mind, I go back to school this Friday so these will be the last updates for awhile.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice!

I vote mega update too

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That looks awesome!!! I vote mega post also!!
What kind of intake is that Reed? Its damn sexy for sure! I hope my swap looks as pretty as yours! After I get a good seat for the drivers side, I'm paying some bills down and collecting swap parts!

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just looked at all your engine pics......did it arrive that clean? or did you do a bit of cleaning? I cant remember if you mentioned that

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mega!!!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4
Nice!

I vote mega update too
1 post to rule them all............lol had to

mega update do it
Bay looks nice man and mega update. lol
Great Job Reed :thumbup:
Lol thanks fellas. I'll have an update later tonight.

That looks awesome!!! I vote mega post also!!
What kind of intake is that Reed? Its damn sexy for sure! I hope my swap looks as pretty as yours! After I get a good seat for the drivers side, I'm paying some bills down and collecting swap parts!
Glad to hear it man. So much better than the old y7.

x2 on what intake that is. id love a gunmetal one like that
It's an AEM hybrid intake.

http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=232

I found a deal for one that I couldn't pass up.

just looked at all your engine pics......did it arrive that clean? or did you do a bit of cleaning? I cant remember if you mentioned that
Nope. No cleaning whatsoever. That's Hmotors for you.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's a lot for an intake lol. You track your car?
It definitely is. I wouldn't have bought it at that price, but I was lucky to find a website having a blowout sale and got mine for $100 brand new. I do not currently track my car, but I plan to once I get some more potent front brakes and better tires.

SiR.Huey

Your car look like the best sleeper knowing it has an unsuspecting motor beneath the hood! with those wheels and not slammed. Its inspiring honestly. Congratulations man!

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First off, the Civic passed inspection today with no issues. The previous sticker I had was almost 2 years out of date haha. The only thing that needed to be done was new wiper blades. With everything else I replaced, i can't believe I forgot them haha. I'm still working on the hunting idle. I cleaned the IAC and messed with the idle adjustment screw and it got a bit better. I'm going to bleed the cooling system tomorrow and see if that helps.

Let's go back in time lol

Timing belt/water pump

Hondabond

Fresh mount. Thanks Alex!

Reinstalling the timing covers

New alternator belt tensioned

Halfshaft installed

Fresh alternator brackets

Fresh rear bracket

New heater hoses

Cleaned up fuel rail with cleaned injectors from Cruzin Performance

Clutch line run below the fuel rail and secured with adel clamps...

...the other side, secured with another adel clamp

New axles from Raxles ready for installation

Best installed shot I could get. It also shows off the fresh front suspension

Detail shot showing the trans bracket, clutch line, grounds, etc

Valve cover ground. Will most likely be moved to the back of the engine

I thought this was a cool shot. I love the Hasport mounts!

In order to be emissions compliant in PA, I needed a second O2 sensor and the easiest way I found through research was just to get a high-flow cat. I ended up getting a Honda/Acura specific model with an integrated O2 bung so I wouldn't have to have one welded on. I also purchased the 2.25" version so it would match the I.D. of my A'pexi WSII catback. In order to save on labor, I elected to do all the work myself, except of course for welding. Let me tell you, it is not fun to do exhaust work without a lift. I spent hours crawling under and back out of the car making sure everything fit correctly before taking it to a local guy to have it welded. For what I was working with, I'm really happy with how it turned out. The exhaust fits perfectly and the clearance is no worse than before. The second O2 sensor gets a proper reading and no code 65! Below is the final product after I chopped up the midpipe and had the cat welded in.

The best I could do to capture a shot under the car

How the muffler sits with respect to the rear bumper

The engine bay at this point with the exhaust installed

Detail shot of the intake manifold

Another detail shot

I thought this looked cool

Details

HMO stamp

I don't think I've ever posted this pic. I got these as a giveaway at an event lol. I also got a ton of Honda Racing stickers haha

Time to clean the throttle body

Much better!

Re-loomed charge harness

Re-loomed alternator ground

How the intake sits in the bumper

Strut bar installed

The following are a custom rad stay and a custom battery tie-down I made from aluminum. I want some input on these pieces. Should I round the corners and possibly drill one or two large diameter holes in them? Also do you prefer the aluminum finish or would they look better painted black?

Some more detail shots to finish it up!

More adel clamps used to secure the wiring throughout. Much better than zip ties in my opinion.

Fuel pressure gauge was very helpful during the initial starting process.

Hovercraft lol

Well it was only 46 pics haha. Hope you guys enjoyed it and that this inspires someone else. I'm really happy with the final outcome. I wish my "tucked" harness would have worked, but since I'm leaving this Friday for college, I didn't really have time to troubleshoot it now. I'll come back to eventually though.

It drives great. The motor is really strong and the 62a inserts in the Hasports give excellent engine feedback without excessive vibration. The konis/eibachs are firm, but I'm getting used to them. Those combined with the front ES bushings and Si strut bar really tighten up the handling. Now I've just got to get better tires because they are definitely the limiting factor when I push the car. The brakes right now are fine, but I'd definitely like to make them stronger. I will most likely buy some Hawk pads for the DX brakes to hold me over until I upgrade next summer.

If you guys have any questions about why or how I did something, feel free to ask. Additionally, if you would like pictures of anything you didn't see here, just ask and I'll take some.

For now :drive:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your car look like the best sleeper knowing it has an unsuspecting motor beneath the hood! with those wheels and not slammed. Its inspiring honestly. Congratulations man!
Thanks man! I hate these steelies, but I agree, it does have a nice sleeper look. That'll change next summer though. :cool:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That was a wonderful post man! Lots of really great work there. Now I assume you get to drive it to school? Or are you going to leave it at home?