Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I do have the 60K power train warranty, but mine is at 65K. HOWEVER, the last time I was at the dealeship, it WAS under 60K. Maybe it might not sound so good, but believe me, if suing the dealer for not noting the problem will get me a free service, I will do it. I just don't have four grand lying around to pay for this. And why should I? This is a design flaw. By the way, the mechanics at the dealers do suck sometimes. Some months ago I took my car for an oil change and later when I was trying to change my brakes I noticed a thick layer of oil in the right wheel. Basically I had a punctured boot. The dealer did not even notify me! I took my car to a dealer to fix it, they refused because I had "attempted" to change my brakes. Then I drove my car to the same dealer that had changed my oil and blamed them problem on them and their negligence. They just shut up and changed the boot. Is this the sort of honesty that a DEALER should engage in? These guys are schmucks and should be treated as such when they treat the customer like s**t.

But in the end you are right. It is best to stay calm. And I have. Yesterday I took the car in and the guy was understanding. He has been trying to get me a free service. Someone from Honda was sent in to evaluate. My car has now been in the lot for two days. Today I got a call from the guy telling me that he is doing his best, but so far Honda is resisting coverage. I have had an accident and told him that it was not a front collision. He seems to think that it is not the accident, but the mileage that makes it tough to cover. He showed me a price tag of $3750 (at least for a BRAND NEW engine) if Honda does not cover all or part of it. So I don't know. Tomorrow I might find out. I have printed that service bulletin, but I haven't showed it to him yet. I will do it tomorrow. I also found out that it would help to show them past receipts from Honda services, so I am taking those there too. No one has worked on my car except Honda, even for the accident. However, I used to change my oil myself and still change all the filters and brakes. I also have proof that I use synthetic oil and better filter than Honda OEM....

Since you work at the dealer, I would appreciate if you could give me some advice as to how to approach this. I am right now on a break from school and if I don't resolve this soon and be able to concentrate on working before school starts, I am going to be royally screwed.

And here is another problem: trading in is not really going to work. Besides the issues brought up before, I just discovered that the only car totally immune to cracking is SI because the engine is built in Japan. I guess I could somehow shed those extra $$$ to get an Si, but damn it, it has a terrible MPG, in fact, 10MPG less than EX/LX. Add to that premium fuel and ultra expensive 17" tires and we have a huge waste of money at our hand. Not to mention that I can't share the car since no one I know can drive a stick...

I don't know, but I don't like where this is going. I wish those people who contacted their attorneys general could come back and give us an update as to what happened. If Honda doesn't cover my car, I will have to take them to small claims. Even if they tell me to pay only around $990, like many posters here, I will first pay to get my car fixed and then sue them for that amount, my car depreciation, and my wasted time. It is so outrageous that a f***kin Japanese company is coming here, selling their damn cars, and screwing the consumer without the smallest retribution. I guess we are all idiots and sheep. America is really going down. I don't know what we're good at anymore.
First question, when you first asked or rather noticed this effecting your vehicle were you under the warranty, and did you bring it up to the dealer, such as them notating it on a repair order, if so then it's documented at that point, which means warranty should cover it, even if you were to drive 1-5k miles afterwards, the thing is that if it's on your last repair order in that area they are screwed.

Few things about the Si, Gas milage is actually great, most owners average about 30-35 mpg, so it's not as exact as honda or the EPA claims, premium fuels does suck to have to buy once a week, unless you convert to E85 at about half the price premium it can be worth it, conversion kit cost roughly about 400.00, down side is that you'd have to change the fuel filter more often. Tires well yeah the OE tire is way to so damn expensive at about $220.00 per tire, but why buy the michelin junk's when it's time to renew tire, mine lasted me 31k mile's, which isn't bad, but they are actually the worst tire made for this car, best tire i have seen reviewed and researched is the Sumitomo HTR+, i bought a set of 4 at 80.00 each, plus mounting and balance of course, but they are a million times better then michelin's could hope to be, they are a UHPAS tire, which is perfect for year round driving, And don't worry about sharing the car, once you drive it you won't want to share it, but drive it yourself all the time.

Excelsius

5+ Year Member
First question, when you first asked or rather noticed this effecting your vehicle were you under the warranty, and did you bring it up to the dealer, such as them notating it on a repair order, if so then it's documented at that point, which means warranty should cover it, even if you were to drive 1-5k miles afterwards, the thing is that if it's on your last repair order in that area they are screwed.

Few things about the Si, Gas milage is actually great, most owners average about 30-35 mpg, so it's not as exact as honda or the EPA claims, premium fuels does suck to have to buy once a week, unless you convert to E85 at about half the price premium it can be worth it, conversion kit cost roughly about 400.00, down side is that you'd have to change the fuel filter more often. Tires well yeah the OE tire is way to so damn expensive at about $220.00 per tire, but why buy the michelin junk's when it's time to renew tire, mine lasted me 31k mile's, which isn't bad, but they are actually the worst tire made for this car, best tire i have seen reviewed and researched is the Sumitomo HTR+, i bought a set of 4 at 80.00 each, plus mounting and balance of course, but they are a million times better then michelin's could hope to be, they are a UHPAS tire, which is perfect for year round driving, And don't worry about sharing the car, once you drive it you won't want to share it, but drive it yourself all the time.
Unfortunately I did not know whether my engine was cracked or not when I took it for an oil change. It would be the dealer who might have noticed it and did not let me know - just like the boot. When I took the car to an independent mechanic, he told me that this can't be a new problem since he saw dried up antifreeze all over the place and thought that this must have been gone on for a long time. It is conceivable that the crack was too small to make a puddle under the car and so I did not notice until the crack became worse and did create a puddle. So no, there was no antifreeze complaint when I took the car in the last time. The best I can do is get an independent mechanic to write a letter saying that the problem is many months old and that the dealer failed to see or correct it when I took for an oil change last time.

Tom, have you seen how the cars function after the engine block is replaced? Do you see a lot of problems afterward, like the magnetic coils for the spark plugs, etc? I am really concerned about the quality of my car after the entire engine has been worked on. I mean if they put in a single part incorrectly I will have a problem down the line. And looking at the crazy number of parts required to do the job just increases the probability that at least something won't be done correctly.

Thanks a lot for the Si tips. I can live with others not being able to drive my car as long as the cost of maintenance can be mitigated. 30-35 MPG is pretty good, but I don't understand why the rating is so low then. Does that include mostly highway miles and all mostly 65MPH or under (perhaps + some tailgating trucks?). On my LX I have been able to push the MPG as high as about 41 by utilizing cruise control, speeds at or below 65MPH, and tailgating trucks.

In this economy it is not really the right time to buy a new car, but if I find that my car is going to give me problems, I would pretty much have to. Better to buy a new car than keep servicing a problem car. If I do end up shopping, I'll have to find out more about the Si.

jpbrog

5+ Year Member
anybody got the number to HOA my door lock actuator bad $211. both rear controlarms bad 386.00 nothing covered but happened to have everything in stock. also $550 tires ruined plus had a cracked block a while back this car is not 2 years old 80000

Excelsius

5+ Year Member
HOLY s**t!!!!!!!! I got it! The f**kin' rep did it! That's it, my car is getting fixed and I am not going to pay a penny. I am very happy right now. I know that without the support of that guy I wouldn't be here. He deserves a big gift.

In retrospect, here is what I would recommend if you have an 06, 07, and perhaps even 08 civic:

1. Take your car to the dealer for service. Buy your own oil using coupons, get your own filter, and take it to Honda to change it for you. Their price is not much higher than on the street - $18. This is very important because you get to know your dealer and build a service history. When trouble comes, go to the dealerships that have serviced you and ask for all the receipts. They will give this to you. It will be good evidence that you did "take care" of your car.

2. It is likely that your engine is going to crack; be prepared. So, what can you do? I would first write a letter to Honda telling them how you are worried that your engine might crack. When your engine does crack, you will have paper evidence of preemptive action. Second, if you have below 60K miles on your car (aka warranty), complain to the dealer that you have smelled some antifreeze. Whether you have it or not, when the time comes and your engine cracks after your warranty expires, you will have a paper trail showing that you did mention it in the past.

3. This might suck, but consider getting rid of your car. Either trade it in and get an Si or go with a different brand altogether. You have nothing to lose if you get the money for what the car is worth and can potentially avoid a $4-6K bill

4. Contact your attorney general and BBB NOW and tell them about your concern. When your engine DOES crack after warranty, this paper trail will be very powerful in court.

5. Jjust stay away from civics. I heard that a whole batch of 08 models was recalled initially. Is the 09 totally fixed? There is no guarantee. It did take over two years for the cracking problem to become very apparent in 06 and 07 models. To know for sure whether the problem is fixed you have to wait until 2011.

6. Try to remain calm. The dealer is not your enemy. I know, it can be very, very angering to find out that you have a cracked engine, but keep it cool. I am irascible myself, but what I do is I try to avoid human contact when I am in the destruction mode. I might go to the gym, do some bag punching, and shoot things, and only after thinking about a strategy attack an issue methodically. Remember, when you walk down to the dealership, you are looking for a FRIEND. That's your first line of defense. If you just attack and don't get support from the dealer, then your issue won't even go to the second level. Got it? And yes, dealers are just people. If you see that someone doesn't like you or is a jerk, go to another guy. If the same happens, leave the dealership and try another dealership in another city. I have a feeling that if the dealership sticks out for you, Honda WILL cover. I mean who else are they going to cover if not the customers supported by the dealer?

Finally, I would appreciate if Tom and others who work at the Honda dealer do a little consumer advocacy. You guys know very well what is going on. If you don't want to do it officially, at least you could give some very valuable tips right here online. If you want to do it anonymously, do it under a different user name or PM the affected individuals. It is not right what Honda is doing.

Although I am happy about my outcome, I am still very wary. I really want to hear from Tom and others from here about what happens AFTER the engine block is replaced. Do you guys have any mechanical problems? Am I now going to face a lifetime of little fixes here and there?

As a warning, read this thread in its entirety. Out of all the people here who were out of warranty, only ONE person was given a free pass. Everyone else paid on average $1000. A few were not covered at all and one guy had a lot of problems with his engine after the fix because the mechanic was incompetent. I am the second person here who had his engine completely covered out of warranty, but this is not a precedent for anyone. We WON'T get a precedent until a recall is initiated. I was just able to connect with the dealer and I am also usually good at negotiations. Who knows, if a different rep picked up my case I might not have won this. This guy was really on my side. The weirdest part of the whole story is that he was perhaps a Red Wings fan and told me I look like Zetterberg. I have no idea if that played a role in this too, but if it did, then this is pretty crazy.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
HOLY s**t!!!!!!!! I got it! The f**kin' rep did it! That's it, my car is getting fixed and I am not going to pay a penny. I am very happy right now. I know that without the support of that guy I wouldn't be here. He deserves a big gift.

Finally, I would appreciate if Tom and others who work at the Honda dealer do a little consumer advocacy. You guys know very well what is going on. If you don't want to do it officially, at least you could give some very valuable tips right here online. If you want to do it anonymously, do it under a different user name or PM the affected individuals. It is not right what Honda is doing.

Although I am happy about my outcome, I am still very wary. I really want to hear from Tom and others from here about what happens AFTER the engine block is replaced. Do you guys have any mechanical problems? Am I now going to face a lifetime of little fixes here and there?
I just work in parts, so i'm no one in the line of honda, just another employee for a dealership, i can only give you the best and most accurate info i have available to me, so i have no control over what honda say's or does.

Congrats on getting your car taken care of, just like i said, just remain calm, once people starting getting hostile, that just starts hurting there chance's of anything be done to help.

I have not seen of heard of us having a repeat issue as of yet, but you never know, once some of these engine's starting hitting higher mileage again well see if this comes back, if so, well that's f**ked up.

spitfiremk21

5+ Year Member
Lawsuit

I am still collecting cases. So far there have only been less than 20 cases to report. I am sure there are quite a few more that I am not aware of or were covered under the warranty. With so few reported cases I'm thinking it's going to be a tough sell even though there seems to be a problem that Honda doesn't want to acknowledge as existing enough to issue a recall. It would cost Honda a great deal of money to issue a recall on all the Civics effected and what with the car companies having financial difficulties it could very well be a back breaker for Honda so I'm sure that this issue is one that they will continue to avoid. I will continue to collect cases but I'm not optimistic due to the few number of reported cases. Even if we were to move forward with what we have it would be an uphill battle and Honda will no doubt keep this tied up in litigation for quite some time. The problem with that is that Honda has a great deal more money to feed the lawyers involved .If this were a case of thousands of units involved then it would be a more cut and dried case. This could very well be the case for units under warranty but Honda isn't about to make public the number involved.I have since traded my '06 Civic on a non-Honda product and doubt that I'll ever own a Honda again. Shame that because I really liked my Civic. :cry:

Excelsius

5+ Year Member
I am still collecting cases. So far there have only been less than 20 cases to report. I am sure there are quite a few more that I am not aware of or were covered under the warranty. With so few reported cases I'm thinking it's going to be a tough sell even though there seems to be a problem that Honda doesn't want to acknowledge as existing enough to issue a recall. It would cost Honda a great deal of money to issue a recall on all the Civics effected and what with the car companies having financial difficulties it could very well be a back breaker for Honda so I'm sure that this issue is one that they will continue to avoid. I will continue to collect cases but I'm not optimistic due to the few number of reported cases. Even if we were to move forward with what we have it would be an uphill battle and Honda will no doubt keep this tied up in litigation for quite some time. The problem with that is that Honda has a great deal more money to feed the lawyers involved .If this were a case of thousands of units involved then it would be a more cut and dried case. This could very well be the case for units under warranty but Honda isn't about to make public the number involved.I have since traded my '06 Civic on a non-Honda product and doubt that I'll ever own a Honda again. Shame that because I really liked my Civic. :cry:
Sorry to hear that. I find it hard to believe that there are only 20 cases. What about from sites like this and this ? Also, if you subpoena the records, Honda WILL HAVE TO disclose this info even for the cars fixed under warranty.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Are you tarded, honda has acknowledge this problem, thus, why there is a technical service bulletin, they will not nor would any other manufacturer issue a recall for this cause it's not a safety concern, meaning no one is, has, or could be killed, only if there has been actually physical harm to one's life, does it constitute a recall, recall's are for safety concerns, such as a faulty wire starting a fire in a car and it burning to s**t, or a air bag igniter malfunctioning and blowing the air bag when there is no accident, thus causing one which could kill someone, just like they announced recently on civic's and accords.

One thing you people don't realize is that not everything fit's under the term recall, it has to be a life threatening concern to be considered a recall, meaning someone can die or be seriously injured, or loss of property (car burning up) and so on.

Follow the 2 links below, then you can say you learned something new today.

RECALL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_recall

SERVICE BULLETIN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_Service_Bulletin

Any question, comments?

Last edited:

CivicSiGuy07

5+ Year Member
Apparently they have been having alot of problems with the cracking of the blocks, my ex g/fs just cracked and hers is a very low mileage car, which was weird in itself! Somehow when she took hers in to the shop they were able to talk out a great deal where she got a brand new 09 accord loaded, def. a sick whip! But idk why they are having so many problems with them here lately, it actually is startin to make me worry, but im starting to work on a an entire swap so im not too too worried about it i just hope it lasts for whoever buys my used engine> Its an 07 pushin close to 40,000 if anyones interested, but if i find out anything else about the blocks ill def let you know! Its a sticky situation to be in man!

metalload

5+ Year Member
if you can weld aluminium you can fix it..could be just temp though.

maybe some mighty putty ( i kid)

i have 40k on my 06ex and havnt had the problem yet. and i beat on it.

but how do you have only 30k and no warranty? all of them come with 3/36k bumper to bumper 5/60k power train
That's because I'm the third owner...
by the way, I just asked on the dealer (I live in Mexico) and there're no cases of this problem registered in all the country... I think and hope mine is a different engine... Do any of you know about it?

coopcity

5+ Year Member
took my 2007 Honda Civic to the dealership last week because it was overheating. They told me it was the water pump. the car has ~77,000 miles on it but thank God i got the extended warranty at the time of purchase. Needless to say i got slack by the warranty company but they paid for it except for 2 hours of labor. me being the nice guy (sucker) that i am i paid the 180 and was happy my car was working. They told me it should be fine and they did a LEAK DOWN test to make sure it wasn't something else. The results were positive.

Drove it for a week with NO problems. All of a sudden yesterday i notice a puddle under my car. It was Coolant. got in and drove away and sure enough my car started overheating again??? Dropped it off at the dealer last night. This morning they call me telling me i had a cracked engine block!?!? I said well...why didn't you see this when you replaced the water pump...he was speechless.

Anyway, he said he is waiting to "hear" back from the warranty company to see if they will cover this. There is no way in hell i'm paying a dime for this...he quoted me $4000. I jumped online today to see if there were other people with this problema and i was SHOCKED to see how many people were affected by this. i'm so disappointed in Honda right now and if they don't pick up the tab they will here about it.

My question to you guys are what should I do? Should i demand a brand new engine? The service manager was pushing a used honda engine with 7000 miles but i know damn well if it is from a 06 or 07 (even 08) it might break 30-40000 miles down the road.

Waiting to hear back from the service department. Any advice or guidance would be great!

jpbrog

5+ Year Member
they should put a brand new short block for you and a rent a car to drive.check the rear control arms they are bad to. and your new block has 12,000 warrenty. honda quality has gone to hell. and they wont back it up . its gona be more than 4,000 try 6 plus

pelfreys

Banned
'06 Civic LX Cracked Engine Block

Well, things were great yesterday, but I got in the Civic this morning, cranked her up and, even though the temp gauge was registering, no heat to the windshield. I drove the kids to school and on the way, the temp gauge topped out and the heat came on. Scared, I took the Civic to my dealership - where I've had ALL the servicing performed - and they diagnosed a cracked engine block. 2006 Civic LX with a manual tranny and 71,000 miles on the odometer. The Service Manager is contacting Honda to see if they'll help, but from what I've read under TSB 08-044 (updated last on July 30, 2009) they should be paying for a new engine AND my rental car expenses.

I hope that's true, as how the dealership and Honda handles this will determine if I go with another Civic or I jump ship to Toyota. We've had two leases on a Honda Odyssey, and I'll pull that as well and go with Toyota if I have to shell out $3k for a new engine due to a casting error.

I'll keep everyone apprised of the situation as I get feedback from the dealer. Let's hope they do the "right" thing and replace the engine at no cost out of pocket to me.

pelfreys

Banned
Honda No Help

Well, just as everyone else has found. Honda offered to pay for 50% of the engine replacement. With this type of design or cast flaw, I told them that I needed more than that. They’ll not give it to me, so I’m taking things into my own hands. I’ve filed a complaint with the National Transit Safety Board (NTSB), I’ve called the 800-999-1009 Customer Service line for Honda in California, I’ve called my local Better Business Bureau (BBB) and filed a complaint, and I’ll be filing a complaint with the Attorney General of the State of Ohio. I figure that someone needs to push this issue for those of us that have long commutes and are getting burned by a serious design flaw or casting flaw that Honda doesn’t want to deal with. Seriously, I’m only at 71,000 miles – that is young for what used to be quality Honda engines. Looks like they’ve taken a page out of the Yugo playbook with the Civic engines. This vehicle sees highway traveling 95% of the time, most of it on cruise control. If I had 171,000 miles on this vehicle, I wouldn’t even think twice.

So, if anyone from Honda is reading this, I’ll NOT be leasing another Honda Odyssey next March when my current lease is up, and if I don’t get at least 75% of the cost of a new engine covered, I’ll go ahead and repair this POS, and I’ll dump is as soon as it is paid off. Never another Honda. I’m going back to Toyota, or may give KIA a chance. Hey 100,000 miles, they must be doing something right. And, I already know that other manufacturers will have issues, but I’ve never had to pay for a dead engine after following a manufacturers service schedule to the letter. I even had all of the servicing done at a Honda dealership, and it still didn’t help!

JDANDY

5+ Year Member
Update from Honda

Well, well, well. It seems that if you ask nicely, have all your oil changes and servicing done at the dealership, and lease another vehicle from Honda, they look favorably upon you. Honda has agreed to cover 75% of the cost for a new engine. I still am not completely satisfied, but I have to take it as I need my car.

My recommendation for anyone who owns a 2006, 2007, or 2008 Honda Civic Sedan - GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY NOW! I never thought I would have to say that about a Honda, but they aren't any better than anyone else right now. Although Hyundai's 100K warranty looks pretty good right now! Honestly folks, this is a real problem. If you've cracked your engine block and haven't contacted the US Dept. of Transportation National Highway Transportation Safety Board and filed a complaint PLEASE DO SO! For every complaint they receive, we are one step closer to a recall, or 100% coverage for those folks that have this issue in the future.

I'll not be purchasing a Honda vehicle for a few years to see if the quality issues of late work themselves out, or if I have to go back to Toyota for a vehicle that I can get 100,000 miles out of before I break out the credit card.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Well, well, well. It seems that if you ask nicely, have all your oil changes and servicing done at the dealership, and lease another vehicle from Honda, they look favorably upon you. Honda has agreed to cover 75% of the cost for a new engine. I still am not completely satisfied, but I have to take it as I need my car.

My recommendation for anyone who owns a 2006, 2007, or 2008 Honda Civic Sedan - GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY NOW! I never thought I would have to say that about a Honda, but they aren't any better than anyone else right now. Although Hyundai's 100K warranty looks pretty good right now! Honestly folks, this is a real problem. If you've cracked your engine block and haven't contacted the US Dept. of Transportation National Highway Transportation Safety Board and filed a complaint PLEASE DO SO! For every complaint they receive, we are one step closer to a recall, or 100% coverage for those folks that have this issue in the future.

I'll not be purchasing a Honda vehicle for a few years to see if the quality issues of late work themselves out, or if I have to go back to Toyota for a vehicle that I can get 100,000 miles out of before I break out the credit card.
just so you know, your only allowed one user account.

\but glad to here that your getting some coverage.

vgarcia330

5+ Year Member
Honda "Goodwill" repairs vs. Mom and Pop Shop

I have this problem with a cracked engine. I have about 116,755 miles on my car. I really enjoy driving the little civic. I am kind of sad this happen. At first I thought it was something I had done or something careless, but I knew I kept up with maintenance. Besides the little wrench comes up to tell you the car is due for service. Initially the mechanic told me that the cost was going to be a little under $4500. The cost was to replace the engine with a used one that had at least 50k miles on it and 1yr warranty. I told him I could not afford it since I still owed on the car. Finally today my mechanic told me about the service bulletin 08-044 and Honda's "Goodwill" repairs. I saw this post and read about the cost associated with Honda's dealership "Goodwill" repair cost and to me they don't seem too far off from what a regular mechanic would charge. I guess I do not see the benefit in going to Honda dealership and beg for a "Goodwill" repair. It seems like they are making a buck just like the mom and pop mechanic shop. In the current state the car is junk and is worth less than $150 because that is what a salvage yard pays. At this point the cost of the vehicle compounded with the cost of repairs puts me out long term. I would have ended up paying 6 to 8 thousand dollars more by the time I finish paying my note. I am not paying more on this car if it is worthless because the cost exceeds the value. My mechanic did suggest that if there is a flaw in the engine design and there are enough people out there with this problem then there should be some type of class action lawsuit. I could certainly agree to see something like this in the works. Come on Honda we are in a recession, help out your loyal customers!

hunk

5+ Year Member
well, add me to the list. 2006 civic with just 25000KM (very very low KMs, ~15534 miles) from canada. it is just a weekend car. Had a cracked engine blocked a few days ago and had it replaced by dealer, under warranty.

i am worried that it might happen again.... so most likely will trade or sell it once it hit 5 years when power train warranty expires

dkeating

5+ Year Member
My 06 EX with 52k miles overheated on Sunday - added coolant and saw it dripping out almost immediately. Took it to my dealer who told me it has a cracked block but will be completely covered by warranty. They saw a couple of other things needing repair but under $300.

I have bought both of our current Hondas from d**k Brooks in Greer - rarely have problems but when I do, the folks at d**k Brooks have been great to work with.