2006 Civic - Cracked Engine Block

lcwilsonjr

5+ Year Member
2006 Civic 33,000 miles/cracked engine block update

Greetings again!

I have an update on my situation. First of all a correction. My Honda dealer is not offering the extended warrantee, it is being offered by the Toyota dealer next door. I also called my car insurance company to see if I could still get one from them, they said no. So, as I mentioned earlier, if you do not have a warrantee yet, get one from somebody before it is too late.

I talked to Honda of Noth America Customer Service out of Torrance, California. Talked with a "Mr. C." He was a very good listener, sympathetic, but offered nothing. I was reading the Califronia Lemon law to him, seemed liked my car would qualify. Told him a story of a lady who uses my dealer for service whose 06 Civic engine cracked after 80,000 miles and Honda still replaced it for free. Still, I thought I could at least get an extended warrantee, WRONG.

I guess Honda doesn't want to set a precedent, giving everybody something, nor do they want to inform Civic owners of a possible problem. Mr. C told me that I would need to "pursue other avenues."

According to my dealer, only one percent of all 06 and 07 Civics have this problem. Guess that doesn't constitute a recall. However, if they know what engines have defects, or at least those engines that came off the line, seems to me that they could match the engines with the car VIN numbers and inform customers.

I'm an ex-Marine. Not too worried about myself. Still, if this car would have broken down while either my girlfriend or sister-in-law were driving it, I would freak. I would also blame myself for putting them in danger.

Does anybody know of any other good Honda blog/websites to post info as to warn/advise owners? In lieu of Honda taking any responsibility, I think it appropriate to inform as many Civic owners as possible, after all, somebody could get hurt (especially if your car, like mine, were to die in heavy traffic or in some sketchy neighborhood).

Later!

spitfiremk21

5+ Year Member
Me too

I have a '06 EX.....with a cracked block. Time for Honda to acknowledge they have a problem and issue a recall. What's it gonna take....a lawsuit?? My Civic is now at the dealership awaiting 'approval' from the service manager to repair the car. If I inccur any 'out of pocket' over this I will contact my states attorney general concerning this situation. A class action suit seems to be what it's going to take I suppose.

bluexcrush

5+ Year Member
does anyone know if the 08' DX-G shares the same problem as the 06 and 07? Thanks!

jpbrog

5+ Year Member
o7

i just took a 07 civic ex to the dealer they found cracked block . 56762 miles it is still under warrenty. honda wouldnt pay for a rental car but the dealer hooked me up .great dealership been very helpful, this car has hywy miles driven very easy with oil change 3500 miles

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
wow, i was not aware the R18s were having these issues...

jpbrog

5+ Year Member
was at dealership todayand talked to one of the mechanics said they got every thing ordered. and said they had got a bulliton fron honda to be on the look out for this.so theres more to the story. they are covering everything so far. dealership gave me a driver 09 corolla vey nice honda gonna have to pick it up in 10. i might trade this civic in once i drive off the neww warrenty if its only good fo 50,000

DC Wuff

5+ Year Member
My wife called on her way to work this morning to report that the temp gauge on our 06 Civic EX was pegged. Had it towed to the dealer and just received the call a little while ago that the engine block is cracked. The car has under 30,000 miles on it but it's been tough local mileage around DC.

The rub: the car is about 15 days beyond the 3 year mark, so technically it's out of warranty. My service guy is calling American Honda to see what he can work out.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
best of luck dc

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
People might just be google searching "honda civic cracked engine block" and cc is one of the first results.

DC Wuff

5+ Year Member
People might just be google searching "honda civic cracked engine block" and cc is one of the first results.
You are correct :D and thanks for all the well-wishes.

The bad news: my dealer has received no word from American Honda yet.
The good news: My previous research on the warranty terms was incorrect. Per the Honda website, the 2006 Civic powertrain warranty is 5 years, 60,000 miles. So I should be good.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry, i knew that but wasnt thinking at the time i read this. i should have told you that before. but GL.

i just got a new steering wheel because it was showing wear at 31k miles =)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
this is disturbing, especially considering the quality and reliability we've come to know and expect from honda.

g_licairac

5+ Year Member
good info, thanks. i havnt seen that over there yet
I have an civic 06 EX 73198 km is a model for latinamerica KK but it has a R18A1 engine and the car is manufactured by American Honda, does this service bulletin applies to my civic as my engine block is also cracked and would like to have the facts to talk to my dealer here in Dominican Republic

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im sure it does because its the same engine if there is no honda where you are at, call honda of america and see what they say