2006 Civic - Cracked Engine Block

masterplan

5+ Year Member
me too!

I have a high mileage (92k - 130 mi/day for work, highway only) 2007 ex sedan and the short of the long is that I did have a cracked block with coolant leaking from near the alternator. The dealer favored me with the "goodwill consideration", treating it as an extended warranty issue costing me only 10% - $350. I was happy to pay for that as it means a practicallly new motor for only $350, i am wondering though if the new short block has been remedied of the porous problem? Does anyone know? If there is any chance that it may happen within the next 200k, i might consider trading it in.

thanks

notcoolhonda

5+ Year Member
They got me now as well 2006 lx 70,000 flawless service. Looks like around 70,000 the problem really kicks in please contact me at brandonvanp@yahoo.com for a course of action

paula5762

5+ Year Member
Cracked Block on 2006 Civic

I brought my baby in for her annual safety inspection sticker - that's when the cracked block was discovered. She has 66K miles and has been meticiously maintained. There was no over heating, no smell of burning antifreeze, and no puddles on the garage floor. Apparently the issue was caught early. My dealership replaced the engine and provided me with a *NEW* Accord to drive while the car was in the shop. Total cost - $100. I learned from the service advisor this was a casting issue with the 2006's. It was corrected by Honda once this problem began appearing. My car was the 5th one my dealership replaced the engine. Kudos to my dealership and Honda for stepping up to do the right thing for their customers.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^atleast you know your dealership actually does the inspections.

Jenn2222

5+ Year Member
My 2007 LX wanted to join the blue puddle club. When I brought the car to the dealer, it had 59,500 miles. Until I saw the coolant, there was no indication of a problem. The dealer replaced the short block and they resurfaced the heads. The total cost was $200 for a rental car.

zuni10

5+ Year Member
Better check with your local Honda service dept and have a little chat with them about your Warranty.

unhppy

5+ Year Member
cracked engine block

I have a 2006 Civic with 87,000 miles. Well maintained car. I found out over the holidays that I have a cracked engine block - car had to be towed to dealer. Honda (through the service department contacting district American Honda Representative) has offered to pay 80% of replacement cost. My 20% will be approximately $800. When I called the national customer service to request 100% assistance they said NO assistance would be offered since the car was out of warranty and they seemed to know nothing about the problem and assistance that had been offered to other owners. Cracked engine block on a 4 year old HONDA. I never would have expected this but I understand even Honda can make a design mistake. HOWEVER, Honda needs to step up and pay 100% of the replacement cost. After all, I bought a Honda (previous owner) because I believed the product to be good and Honda would stand behind it. After all, according to their international website, their missions states "...we are dedicated to supplying products of the highest quality, yet at a reasonable price for worldwide customer satisfaction." I guess they don't really mean it. I'm an educator with a very limited budget. I'll NEVER buy another Honda. Disaapointed and stressed out over the cost of replacement!

civicgirl1212

5+ Year Member
2006 Honda Civic engine crack

We should try to collect as many people with cracked blocks at:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2006/engine/cracked_engine_block.shtml
AND
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Owner of a 2006 Civic with a cracked block.
Yes, I have 132K but if it is a known problem(TSB 08-044), why should my mileage matter?
Have you had any luck yet with the dealer? We have 2006 Honda Civic with 165,000 miles (freeway commuting) that now has an engine crack with about $5000 still owed. Are we screwed?

deepooler

Service Bulletin 08-044

My 2007 Civic has 77,000 miles and it stranded me on the side of a busy highway this week. Cracked engine block is the cause. Honda is very much aware of this mechanical defect and has issued a Service Bulletin but is refusing to recall or pay for this disaster. Please issue a complaint with the NHSTA - if they get enough complaints, they will force Honda to issue a recall.

deepooler

File a complaint with NHSTA NOW!!!

My 2007 Civic has 77,000 miles and it stranded me on the side of a busy highway this week. Cracked engine block is the cause. Honda is very much aware of this mechanical defect and has issued a Service Bulletin but is refusing to recall or pay for this disaster. Please file a complaint with the NHSTA - if they get enough complaints, they will force Honda to issue a recall.

Laura F.

Add me to the list. I smelled antifreeze last night and there was some white steam coming from under the hood when I parked it in my driveway (to and from grocery store - 4 mile trip). To be on the safe side, I had it towed in, and was floored when they told me it was a cracked engine block. Car is just 3 1/2 years old, and I paid it off three months ago. It has 106k (99% highway miles), and I've gotten all maintenance, including oil changes, through Honda and just had the 105k service done three weeks ago.

I had to tow it to a repair shop that wasn't my regular service because it's the holiday weekend and my guys couldn't get to it until Tuesday (and frankly, I thought it would be a loose hose or something minor). But, the repair shop mentioned this bulletin, and I read both it and found this forum - this is the first I'd heard of it, although both the repair shop and my usual repair shop have seen this before. The repair shop suggested I contact Honda - instead, I called my usual (Honda) repair shop and they're going to call Honda on Tuesday to see if something can be done for me - if they can, I'll get the car towed on over there. They've been terrific to work with for years now, so I'm hoping they can come through for me. I've driven three Hondas over the course of 20 years and never had a serious problem, until now.

Hopefully, Honda will come through. I'll keep you posted. I'll admit though - I am rather alarmed, and disappointed, to see that this is common enough to warrant a bulletin. I've been complimenting Honda on their reliability for years, and sorry to see that, at least in this respect, it has been misplaced.

Superman5715

5+ Year Member
I was looking to buy a 06-08 this week when I stumbled across this thread.

Is this extremely rare or would I be out of my mind to spend the money on one now. I have to say I'm very disappointed, I love Civics and I was very excited to get back in one.

Superman5715

5+ Year Member
I was looking to buy a 06-08 this week when I stumbled across this thread.

Is this extremely rare or would I be out of my mind to spend the money on one now. I have to say I'm very disappointed, I love Civics and I was very excited to get back in one.

BoycottHonda

Engine Not covered by Warranty

I just bought a Honda GX with 87000 miles from Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos (No#1Dealer in the Country) and now I have a Honda with 93000 miles and a cracked block described in Honda SB A08-044. Honda says they will not cover the problem. This was my second Honda GX, I do not see a Honda in my future and recommend that you avoid Honda civics based on there Engines being defective. GX's are expected to last twice as long as the gas engines, yeah right.

Pissed

BoycottHonda

Engine Not covered by Warranty

Update-Honda has agreed to pay 60% of the 6400 bill for a new engine and head for my cracked block at 93k. Better than nothing. Well, I had a 2000 Honda Civic Gx that had good luck with, waited to get a 2006 or newer due to the unreliable CVT transmissions. Now I own a 2007 civic that has Block problems. Well, in my opinion, Honda has lost sight of what made them great in the first place, quality. Warranty's on everything from here on out. BTW-My new engine comes with a 12k and 1 year warranty and a potential time bomb with the defective block as described in Honda's SBA08-044

R18turbo

Is this only on 06 and 07's or do we just not know yet because i have an 09 and with the added strain from boost im pretty worried. :(

sjnardozzi

2006 Cracked Block CIVIC

WOW, is this a frequent occurence? I have a well maintained 2006 Civic EX with 83,000 miles. Noticed the coolant smell and car overheating. Took it to the dealer immediately and sure enough - a cracked engine block. THANK THE LORD, I PURCHASED THE EXTENDED WARRANTY.

I will be OK financially, BUT WHY THE CRACKED BLOCKS??

clbrownlaw

Class Action Atty
Lawsuit anyone?

I am an attorney in Tennessee currently investigating a class action lawsuit against Honda for the cracked engine block issue many owners have experienced. If you are interested in joining us you may contact me at ********* or by phone ********** (in TN) or ********** (outside TN). Time is short to be involved and I will post here again once enrollment has been closed. Please contact me today to discuss the case.

Last edited by a moderator: