98 civic EX, better late than never.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
So i came home from vacation the other day. turned my car on and the engine bay started smoking. i also heard a TERRIBLE noise of belts freaking out and it was really chug chug chug. well i shut if off as quick as possible, but not before the belt to my alternator melted off because the alternator froze up while i was away. i pulled out the broken belt and restarted the car to see if that was the problem. sure enough my battery light came on but my car was running smooth. so it was off to the store for a new alternator and belt and a few hours later i had everything fixed up. Well it cost me about 130 for a new alternator and belt so that set me back in some plans financially speaking.

anyways, i have been looking at my gauge lately and hatting it. i currently have some red glow gauges on there and i despise them now and regret ever purchasing them. so now I'm going to do a Cluster swap with a 2004 2dr civic-red cluster, looks amazing and will fit right in with my lighting theme. The only problem is that no one ever tried to do this with an auto. so i will have a few things to work out but I'm sure it will be fine. this is the cluster i want to get.

anyways so i will post again when i get that and stuff. see ya.

leothelion

Registered VIP
So i did some wiring today, and i will have a VIDEO of what i did tonight up on youtube.

A long time ago I said that I had finally finished my slow fade led module. Well i finally got around to installing it today.

what does it do?
Leds that i placed in my door handles come on when I turn on my parking lights(this is because i go to a lot of dark areas outside of the city and can never find my stupid door handles.

The problem however, was that in order for the light to be effective, i had to leave my parking lights on when i opened the door, then shut them off. it was annoying and awkward. I wanted a way that i could turn off the car, shut off the lights, but still have the door handle lights stay on for a little bit

well i made a module to do just that and now when i hit lock/unlock, or turn my parking lights on and off, the door handle lights stay on for 30sec and then fade off. YEAH!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXDiL-M48k

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome fading LED's in the door handles!

leothelion

Registered VIP
FING BAND CAMP IS RUINING MY LIFE!!!!!
ok, so i FIANLY got the bawls to try a gauge swap.

i bought a 2003 ex gauge online ($45 shipped including wire connectors.)

here is everything that should work:
turn signals
hazards
oil light
check engine light
spedo
tac
high beams
SRS
seat belt light
gauge lights
fule gauge

now, apparently you can't get the temp gauge and brake light to work properly, but Im working on getting it to function correctly.
The problem is the to get to the inside of the gauge you have to take the needles off, something I'm not to crazy about and am scared to try.

also, for automatics, i can make park and reverse work, but the other lights i have yet to make work, so we will see on those.

anyways this swap is a little difficult as there are no DIY;s on it. but i have seen one for a 2001-2004 swap, and a 2001-98 swap. so i used the properties of substitution and voila, it works pretty good.

not fully don't yet, have to work on getting it to fit in the cluster and such but i will keep you posted.

JDM 94 EG Hatch

Initial D
Registered VIP
this is a really nice build good job, i love DIY's for the small stuff and thos door handle lights are pretty sick

95excommuter

5+ Year Member
I hear what you're sayin about lowering your car, slammed isn't for eneryone including me, thats why i'm going with some coilovers, they give you the option of stock ride height all the way down to like a 3'' drop, and the steelie look good but with all the custom stuff you're doininside and plan on doin outside I would suggest at least some oem alloys, SI rims would look pretty sweet on your car, you can get they for about $400 for a set, but anyway lookin sweet, red, black grey isn't a bad color combo, but its your ride you gotta like it not me.:D

leothelion

Registered VIP
Yo. Did you install that cluster yet?
HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I hear what you're sayin about lowering your car, slammed isn't for eneryone including me, thats why i'm going with some coilovers, they give you the option of stock ride height all the way down to like a 3'' drop, and the steelie look good but with all the custom stuff you're doininside and plan on doin outside I would suggest at least some oem alloys, SI rims would look pretty sweet on your car, you can get they for about $400 for a set, but anyway lookin sweet, red, black grey isn't a bad color combo, but its your ride you gotta like it not me.:D
true. I'm rocking the steelies right now out of necessity basically. living in nebraska any rim you have is going to get chewed up in the winter. Ideally i would put snow tires on my steelies and rock some sweet black w/red stripe wheels in the sumer. but that is for when i have the money and am not saving up for seats. =)

leothelion

Registered VIP
OMG ITS THE MOMENT YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!! (or you just clicked my build thread and got here...)

anyways, here are the results. a 2001 cluster will fit into a 6th gen, a 2004 will fit into a 2001. so i just used a diy to swap a 2001 into a 6th gen after reading that all the wires on 2001 and 2004 are the same. this worked pretty well, there were only a few that were not correct but it was not a big deal. just used a tester and worked out what wire was what.

now for the pics and vid!!!!

:party2::party2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0Qsa9n2Yo
:party2::party2:

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

so glad i found someone to include the harness. this would have been impossible without it.

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

the way i have it now works ok. but i was noticing when i was driving around that it is slightly off kilter. for now i will leave it but i will deffinaly go back and figure out a more solid way of securing it.

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18
oh wiring and shrink tube:

Shot at 2011-08-18
looks good from the outside

Shot at 2011-08-18
looks amazing on the inside:

Shot at 2011-08-18

leothelion

Registered VIP
Awesome, looks great, now I wanna do this!
its amazing. you won't regret it. i docked around with my old gauges for soooo long. changing out bulbs, painting needles, putting on glow gauges, this is just set and done. and it looks friken killer. especially after i got the fitment perfect.

leothelion

Registered VIP
Went out into the country today...ie...5min from my house, and did a little photo shoot. these were the best pics.

Shot at 2011-08-24

Shot at 2011-08-24