98 sedan bucket!

Trekk

Registered VIP
Attempts and fails today.
First I was shooting fish eyes like no tomorrow. IDK if its the HF gun (they come laded with grease....) I tried to clean the gun up before use, but looking back on it now I should of shot some acetone through it instead of mineral spirits. It could also be my air suppy has water in it, so I'll need to get something to filter the air next time. It "shouldnt" be prep work because it fisheyed on the paper and cardboard I was setting the fan on.

Then in this shot I splatterd paint... LOL kinked the freaking hose and didnt see it...

Time to retry :( but at least I got to test out if it was going to react crazy with the rattle can automotive primer. I know rattle can stuff isn't the "best" way to go but I had a few little dings I filled with bondo and just wanted something quick to spray over.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Clean the gun with acetone and a brush before you shoot and pick up a inline filter for your hose I think there like 5 bucks from lowes. Also a good air pressure regulator would make shooting paint so much easier. I just painted almost half my car and it's a pain in the ass. Also after you sand te parts down remember to clean it with wax and grease remover so the paint will stick, you know it's clean when te rag your cleaning it with doesnt show Any dirt on it. Then finish cleaning it with a lot free rag. You can set up a cheap "paint booth" by buying a huge roll of that plastic sheeting and some PVC to make kinda a square where you can stand in and covering it with that plastic. Cut a door and 2 holes, one for a fan and another for a a/c filter. Put the filter in one hole ad tape it up tight and a box fan on the other and also tape it up tight and make sure it's pushing air out instead of sucking it in. Put the pieces you want to paint in there and wait about 30 minute for clean air to be in there then go inside and paint away, just remember to tape up te door lol! That's what I did and it worked fantastic! Looks good so far!

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Meant to say a lint free rag*

Trekk

Registered VIP
Attempt #2

Came out amazing, besides the few little bugs that all the sudden appeared and landed on the paint. Stupid things land on the paint, get stuck and cant fly off, so they walk and make trails lol. I knew it would happen, but it still sucks. After the first coat I plucked them all off, and put down the second this time only 2 landed, probably cause all the others in the area died on the first coat =)

I found a nice little filter at homedepot that screws on right before the gun. That cleaned up my air and got rid of all the fish eyes. The car is almost done wih prep. I did all the litte bondo it needed, sanded down the whole car with 600 grit and a 3m scotch pad. Now that I seem to have got the gun setup perfect, soon I'll be shooting it.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks nice, I wanna redo my paint but got to get some more dings removed that the last guy missed.

bigboy106

great job so far, cant wait to see how she'll look once your done. Cant help but smile when i see a civic coming back from the dead. always love when people make a car look great when its in rough shape..and it makes you like the car alot more and take better care of it =) im tuned in on the build cant wait to see more

Trekk

Registered VIP
Getting close.... freaking weather..... It's Nov. and it still rains almost every freaking day.

Since I'm painting outside with no cover, I've had to go back a few times to fix a few spots, where big bugs have lanede and messing it up. It sprinkled on the tunk and left me a dozen fish eyes...

Trekk

Registered VIP
sigh... go outside today, the weather is amazing, very low humidity. Pull everything out, fire up the compressor, it's pumping up and then, clack clack clack.... I can't win. A part that connects the eletric motor to the piston broke, so for now I have no air :( I found the part online but it cost $42.00 plus shipping, my dad can get it at cost, (which is probly 1/3 the price) so now I have to wait for him to get back from vacation and order it. Lucky for me, i was getting ready to mix the paint when it happened, a few min longer and I would of lost the paint also.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice progress. White a primer or that the final color?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Finally nice weather............ sort of lol

The paint came out pretty freaking great for a $20 gun. I had a little mess up, lesson learned while finishing up. I noticed I was shooting thinner and thinner then finally the air stopped at the gun. The stupid pin under the trigger had unwound, when I put it back in all the way, I started shooting lots of paint and really heavy. Not much of a problem but the coverage was way better, with a bigger fan. Wish I had of seen that long ago.
Anyways, now I'm to decide if i want to clear it, or just sand and buff it as is and leave it single stage.

Trekk

Registered VIP

Little more work today, blacked out the firewall and everything on it. Also blacked out the radiator and condenser. Then painted one side of the bay white, still trying to decide if i should black it all out or do white on the sides.