99 EX Sedan build, the "Ghost"

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, seems the head gasket on my 92 EG8 blew, so I desperately needed another car for work. After checking Craigslist, came upon this 99 Civic EX 5 speed, with approx 150k. Salvage title, due to rear quarter panel damage that's since been repaired.
I've owned it a little over a week now, and now that the title's all settled, need to get to work on fixing a few minor flaws, as well as upgrading some parts. Apparently, the prior owner's kids decided to plaster ghost stickers on the rearview mirror and a side window, hence the name "Ghost". Not usually one to name a car, but with so many "slow build" thread titles already in use, didn't want to be confused with other (likely better) builds.
So far, going to do the regular maintenence of changing oil/filter, fuel filter, plugs, cap/rotor, trans fluid. Also, need to fix driver rear window (doesn't work with either master switch or at the door itself, so might be a bad motor), need to replace the rear sway bar (missing), and get an alignment and new rear tire. Tint starting to peel on passenger front window, so that needs to be redone as well. Passenger rear door panel insert is coming apart, so that needs replacement. Passenger front seat doesn't move, so need to repair or replace the slider. I'm sure as I get to looking over the car more, going to find more small things either missing or needing replacement.

UPGRADES planned for the near future:
drop in air filter (K+N, AEM or Greddy)- DONE. WENT WITH HKS SUPER HYBRID FILTER
I hate changing rear drum pads, so looking to swap to a rear disk setup
new poly bushings
new struts/springs (looking into Eibach Prokit, Skunk2 struts/springs, or perhaps Tokico HP struts/Tein H type springs)
new wheels (likely 15s)
CTR grill (I know everyone uses it, but I can't stand the stock grill)
stainless header (perhaps Greddy or APEXi)
low db catback exhaust (again, perhaps Greddy or APEXi's WS 2)
respray paint

Pics up soon

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

sorry about the pics, didn't realize the kids had smudged the lens. First few pics are crappy, but future once will be better

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
doing some routine maintenence. picked up some oil pan and valve cover gaskets. also fuel filter, spark plugs

here's the old plugs. looks like they've been in there a while

well, have some oil leaking from the passenger side of the block. Thought it's either the vtec solenoid, or the distributor. Pulled the solenoid gasket/screen, and found this..

the screen is so clogged, not sure if the vtec would have even engaged.

When I pulled the distributor, found someone had "fixed" a leak by sealing it to the head with Hondabond, instead of spending 2 bucks on the correct o-ring. So, took me 30 seconds to replace the o-ring, and 20 minutes to scrape off all the gasket crap.

found that the wire connecting the left and right sides of the seat slider had broken. Robbed a wire off my brother's spare seat, and now have a working passenger seat

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks good, but i would leave the hubcaps on till you get wheels. steel wheels look like s**t imo, and make the car look cheap

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Usually I'd agree with all of you. In good condition, can look ok. My fault that I didn't take a close up of the covers before trashing them. I think if you'd seen them, you'd agree that they needed to go. All had peeling paint, and one or two cracked, warped, and missing chunks. Pretty bad shape.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, still have leak from the trans side of the head, so looks like only other gasket to change is INSIDE the vtec solenoid (between the upper and lower halves of the solenoid). Picked up a new gasket below, which should finally fix the issue

now, to fix the OTHER oil leak. The bottom of the engine, exhaust, and just about everything else is filthy with oil and grease

Looks like time to change the oil pan gasket. Manifold off....

while it was off, I went ahead and painted the manifold with flat black exhaust paint. No more rusty looking manifold. So, manifold and oilpan back on, all back together (and a little cleaner now)

oil change, new filter

while I was at it, changed the fuel filter as well. Gotta say, I much prefer the filter on the EG. Much easier to change. I don't think THIS car's ever had it changed before. If so, must have had a gorilla tighten it up. Shouldn't take nearly 45 minutes to change the damned thing

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got something in the mail today.

It's my first upgrade/aftermarket part for the car. Damn, that's a pretty box!

Oh, and I snapped the damned clip for the sun visor. Took a few minutes to figure out how to remove the remnants from the headliner. Looks like I'll be hitting the Pick n Pull this weekend.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks! and an update on the oil leak. Seems changing that internal o-ring in the vtec solenoid fixed the leak on the passender side of the head/block. However, a few days now since I changed the oilpan gasket, and I see a little oil on the driver front edge of the oilpan again. So, either I goofed up the oilpan gasket install, or might be leaking from the oil pump/crank seal. I'll have to get under the car again this weekend to find out.
Whatever it is, it's not as bad as it was prior to changing the oilpan gasket.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh, and even though not in my budget right now, been looking around for some wheels that I might throw on the car at some point. I remember a model put out by Konig a few years ago called the "Next", so I started looking on Ebay and a few of the major wheel retailers online. Big bust. Apparently, has been out of production a LONG time (maybe 6 or 7 years) and no one has any for sale. I know wheel designs change fast, but some kinda stick around for a while. I guess this one didn't.

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
Beautidul job cant wait to see the future look of the car,good job

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, visited the junkyard and picked up a replacement sunvisor clip (in the pic, it hasn't been cleaned up yet)

While I was at the yard, I also found a replacement door panel. My rear passenger panel was a little ratty when I bought the car. Here's my original...

and here's the replacement. A little dusty, but nothing some soap, water, and Armor-all won't fix. Actually, had to piece this together from 2 different panels, because some of the parts were broken and/or missing