Auto To Manual Conversion: Complete Part List

blacksn0w

5+ Year Member
how much do u thikn someone would charge me if i asked them to do this for me? like a place? because im sure if i do this myself i will f**k up.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not too sure what a shop charges...but I charge $450 plus parts....and Im not that far from Jersey. Maybe 3 hours or so? ;)

starcool15

5+ Year Member
Just one question
what do you do with the coolant lines that go to the automatic tranny? PLug them up or does the manual tranny have the same things?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just one question
what do you do with the coolant lines that go to the automatic tranny? PLug them up or does the manual tranny have the same things?
You mean the lines that go from the radiator to the tranny? Drain the radiator, and cap off the lines on the radiator side. Or you could just leave them open like I did. It'll ooze tranny fluid for alittle bit randomly, but it wont be anything major. Or you could just get a new radiator for a 5spd that dosent have those ports on them.

starcool15

5+ Year Member
ok cool thanks alot=]
well im doing this swap next and is there any pointers i need to know before i do this swap about removing the automatic tranny and stuff like that lol? thanks:shock:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok cool thanks alot=]
well im doing this swap next and is there any pointers i need to know before i do this swap about removing the automatic tranny and stuff like that lol? thanks:shock:
Just make sure you give yourself time. Check for rusted bolts that may need to cut off. It took me an extra 2 hours one time b/c the 4 bolts that hold the auto shifter plate on, were completely rusted out and they had to be cut out. And theres not exactly alot of room under that area. :lol:

And just make sure you have EVERYTHING you need. Nothing like stoping randomly b/c you forgot to order a part.

starcool15

5+ Year Member
Just make sure you give yourself time. Check for rusted bolts that may need to cut off. It took me an extra 2 hours one time b/c the 4 bolts that hold the auto shifter plate on, were completely rusted out and they had to be cut out. And theres not exactly alot of room under that area. :lol:

And just make sure you have EVERYTHING you need. Nothing like stoping randomly b/c you forgot to order a part.
ok thanks lol. this really helps alot. by any chance can you give me the part number or picture of the front torque mount you listed. I went to the dealer ship and they didnt know what i was talking about lol. i know dumb question but this is the only part i need lol.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would just pick one up at either a junkyard, or online somewhere. Dealership will charge you alot for it. :what:

And you dont NEED that part, it just helps minimize engine movement.

y8vtec423

5+ Year Member
i read theres a way to use the auto harness but not sure. i just did my swap and the harness i got was messed up. and i cant seem to find a ex y8 harness. is there a way to change some wires and use my auto harness

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea you can use your auto harness. You'll have to repin the IACV to two wire instead of the 3 wire, and you just dont plug in your auto plug on the ECU side.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Depending on where in MA you are, your not that far from me. ;)

jasanp

5+ Year Member
EJ6Civic27 i wish i lived in NY...i really wanna do the swap but i can't find a shop that can do it.
Everyone tells me its not worth it.

Does anyone know a creditable shop in Los Angeles that would do a swap at a fair price?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
EJ6Civic27 i wish i lived in NY...i really wanna do the swap but i can't find a shop that can do it.
Everyone tells me its not worth it.

Does anyone know a creditable shop in Los Angeles that would do a swap at a fair price?
Its really not all that hard to do it yourself. Grab a few friends, and go at it. If you have even SOME kind of mechanical skills, then your good. The hardest part, is the wiring. Here's a quick rundown of the process:

Drain tranny fluid, and disconnect any plugs from tranny (reverse switch, all solenoids, etc)
Unbolt/disconnect starter
Remove axles by poping the ball joint out, and prying the axles out of the tranny.
Unbolt the support brackets that connect the tranny to the bottom of the block
Remove torque converter bolts
Unbolt tranny, and remove.
Remove auto flywheel, install 5spd flywheel with new bolts
Install clutch and pressure plate.
Install 5spd tranny.
Installt/connect starter
Install new front torque mount
Re-installs axles into tranny
Fill tranny w/fluid - DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP!

Remove old auto shifter assembly
Cut windage tray from old auto shift cable.
Drill holes for new shift linkage (holes are already marked, they just need to drilled out. Its very thin sheet metal, so its really easy/quick).
Install 5spd shift linkage
Remove center console/arm rest and cupholders.
Wire up reverse lights, and cross a few wires so the car thinks its in neutral the entire time so it can be started and key can be removed.
Install new shift boot, and shift knob (shifter should be attached to linkage already).
Replace interior.

Rewire IACV if need be
Replace auto ECu with 5spd unit.

Start car up and drive away.

greycoupe

5+ Year Member
im gonna finally do mine ive be lagging for bout a year and a half.
my clutch should be here on wednesday

mastashea20

5+ Year Member
so i wanted to convert my auto to manuel and heres how i am doing so far,

picked up a 95 si tanny 100xxx miles
tranny bracket
shift linkage
clutch line
pedals
short shifter
and also he said it had speed sensor and reverse sensor , idk what those r so would they b in side the tranny? casue idk what they are and would they just b in the tranny?
along with all tht i got a pair of active headers,
all the above was for 250$!!!!!!

also i know i need to buy an obd2b ecu im getting one for 30$

and then a clutch master cylinder and a slave cylinder, if you have one please sell to me lol

then a shift boot i will b getting a type r one along with a type r shift knob

and then for a flywheel, cluth , and a pressure plate i was woundering sience the tranny is a 95 should i get the clutch kit for a 95?
i was thinking about buying this one off of ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-1993-1994-1995-HONDA-CIVIC-1-5L-NEW-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5190393340QQitemZ350312018752QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5f​TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or this one....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT-1992-2005-CIVIC-1993-1995-DEL-SOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518f03b4fdQQitemZ350291735805QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5f​TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

let me know what u think ive done so far and what i should do to improve thanks...