cold air intake in the winter??

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok ive heard that if u keep ur aftermarket coldair intake in the winter ur valves will freeze and start knocking......... im pretty sure ive witnessed it too but is it 100% fact cuz a friend threw away his stock airbox like an idiot and its already been fukin cold out an we already hear knocking LMAO he has a d16

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i WANT it to get cold, to colder, the better.. for boost =D

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
u sure cuz i dont think toooo cold is good if saying an NA motor witha cold air in the winter,, i dont believe the motor will survive, youd fry ur valves

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bwwahahaha who ever told you the valves would freeze is RETARDED.

If you run the dog piss out of your motor before it has warmed up then thats your fault.

I have run cold air through snow storms with out a problem

Colder the air the more horsepower you can produce and the happier your engine will be.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have never heard anything like this. By the time the air reaches the intake piping that has been sitting in the engine bay, the air will warm up a good deal. I've been driving mine is 35 Degree temperatures and I haven't had a single problem. The valve clicking could be from your friend having a low oil level. If people were worried about cold air...what about the people that are running nitrous...? ;)

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bwwahahaha who ever told you the valves would freeze is RETARDED.

If you run the dog piss out of your motor before it has warmed up then thats your fault.

I have run cold air through snow storms with out a problem

Colder the air the more horsepower you can produce and the happier your engine will be.
yes i understnad that and i dont mean FREEZE cuz its so cold outside i mean they will start knocking ,, i find it hard to believe that u ppl ran a coldair intake during the winter and at the end of the season they wertent clicking or knocking??? wow i got 2 completely diff answers for this question need more input plz all comments are appreciated!!

StealthSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
AGAIN thats not true i think everyone here agrees that cooler air produces more HP and for us BOOSTED cars we love it. knocking comes from lack of oil, lack of oil change, and running the piss out of your car w/o warming it up.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yes, you must ALWAYS warm up your car whether its hot, cold, raining, snowing, icing, tornado..

i always let my rpm settle below 1k rpm before i start driving..

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've run cold air through 2 winters and last winter we saw songle digits and i have had no problems. . . . . plus my nitrous is injested right before the TB and STILL no problems. Cold air > warm air

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my turbo sticks out of my hoood through the icey winters, and no problems.. ... . -____-

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The reason why COLD AIR is better is because it is less dense....meaning that you can get more air into each cylinder. More air packed in there will result in a bigger and more powerful explosion, resulting in more power. If its right around freezing, I'll let my car warm up for a lil bit...3-5 minutes before driving or if i have to be in a hurry, i'll drive it very slow, shifting at low rpm's.

Cold air will not hurt an engine. It will help it run better more than anything.

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cold=Good
make sure u or ur smart friend let the car warm up first....

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cold air ftw!!! no heater.. ftL :(

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah check the oil level. Cold is better. My car loves it.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my car talks to me in the cold, she tells me that she loves me and wants me to f**k her exhaust pipe ;D

PICKLED

El mero mero Aguacatero
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The reason why COLD AIR is better is because it is less dense....meaning that you can get more air into each cylinder. More air packed in there will result in a bigger and more powerful explosion, resulting in more power. If its right around freezing, I'll let my car warm up for a lil bit...3-5 minutes before driving or if i have to be in a hurry, i'll drive it very slow, shifting at low rpm's.

Cold air will not hurt an engine. It will help it run better more than anything.
FYI Cold air is denser and carries more oxygen improving combustion.