cold air intake in the winter??

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cuz i just did a b18b swap and there is only a cheap filter cone on the intake tube will this last me in the winter

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i mean is it safe for the engine cuz it roars all u hear is intake when i put the foot down! i no that aint a bad thing but all that flow in cold temp wouldnt get my valves knocking a bit???

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when you spray nitrous oxide into a motor is is SUB 0 temperature... and can freeze things.. if you are INTENTIONALLY spraying that into the intake and it is NOT hurting anything.. get it.. no it cant hurt it... but its useless.. and if you suck up water that WILL f**k s**t up.. so id replace it when you can..

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive run my short ram in below zero temp.s with no problems.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its really not funny to f**k with people like this.. next thing you know some noob follows your ill advice and they are out a motor... you were not born with automotive know how.. dont treat others like they should have been..

your motor will be fine with a CAI as long as you dont suck up water.. on the other hand a CAI is a useless piece and you are better off to replace it with a stock air box when you get a chance since the filter will stay cleaner at least in the stock box..
Seriously if someone is stupid enough to put anti-freeze in with there oil they deserve not to work on their car.

I may have not been born with automotive know how but I sure as hell have some common sense.

I don't feel sorry for anyone that would be that stupid.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SO to get the facts straight in this thread:

1) A CAI will not hurt your car by sucking in cold air. Water, on the other hand, will cause your engine to seize/hydro lock
2)exposed cone filters will get dirtier faster.
3)Valve ticking can be cause by old oil, having a low oil level in the engine.

skittle_107

touge
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
SO to get the facts straight in this thread:

1) A CAI will not hurt your car by sucking in cold air. Water, on the other hand, will cause your engine to seize/hydro lock
2)exposed cone filters will get dirtier faster.
3)Valve ticking can be cause by old oil, having a low oil level in the engine.

:word:

/thread

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Seriously if someone is stupid enough to put anti-freeze in with there oil they deserve not to work on their car.

I may have not been born with automotive know how but I sure as hell have some common sense.

i actually had to think about it for a minute ;););)

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have drove my car with ice hanging off the car with snow the size of silver dollars coming down and was more worried about traction then this idea that cold air is bad.

:werd::word:

I have driven with so much snow packed in my wheel wells that I practically had no suspension. :lol:

I think this idea got started with carbureted cars. At certain temps and humidity the carburetor will actually ice up. That's why carbureted cars have heat riser tubes from the exhaust manifold. To the best of my knowledge, this does not occur on MPFI cars.

12A 4bbl rotary Mazdas will actually inject antifreeze into the carb at a certain temperature. There's a little reservoir for it on the right side of the firewall.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
is it just me or is anyone else reminded of Lil_falco.... :shock:

Last edited:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

really? i dont think that is fair... imagine you have no concept of how coolant even works... you register on a car site to LEARN.. how the hell would you know that coolant doesnt belong in the oil... YOU only know this because you have learned that...

and to all of the rest of the s**t talkers.. yes the question is ridiculous... TO A ROOM FULL OR CAR ENTHUSIASTS... he OBVIOUSLY doesnt know.. hes coming here relying on YOUR knowledge to help him learn.. no reason to be cocky s**t talking assholes..

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
more on the antifreeze into the carb bit:
Another real-world device was the "sub-zero fluid" injector: If the rotary engine failed to start immediately at below-zero-Fahrenheit temperatures, water vapor from gasoline that had burned could freeze in the cold zones of the rotor and housing. To prevent this, a small pump squirted a 90 % antifreeze & 10 % water mixture into the carburetor from a separate under hood container.
Again, that was on a rotary engine. Don't try this on your Honda.

k624ash

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
engines work on explosions, we have to worry about keeping them cool. they keep themselves warm. and you dont have to sit 10 minutes before you drive it. Just dont floor it and keep the revs low until it warms up fully