Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Need a little help guys...So after five years of abuse, the hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite finally died....Model M115-S3094...Upgraded from a 80gig to a 320gig...My problem is that i dont have what i need to clone the old drive to the new one. Also, i have misplaced my recovery/drivers cd. Are there any options, aside from purchasing what i need to clone the drives or a new recovery cd?

jerseyhonda

Cloning a dead drive is not easy. Depending on how it died it will be very expensive to save any data off of it. Having a degree in computer science I've tried to recover data and it deemed near impossible witu out having someone with the proper equipment to.do it. If you figure it out, please let me know. As for.the future, I so suggest doing incremental back ups least one a week to protect data.

I do have to say Linux for the win. I'm a mad Windows hater (:
--addicted2honda

jerseyhonda

My current beast.

i7 950(bloomfield)processor, 24 gigs DDr3 Ram, Asus Ares 4GB Graphics card, Rampage III motherboard, 40 GB OCZ Solid State OS drive, 60 GB OCZ Solid State Data drive. ThermalTake liquid cooled chassis.

--addicted2honda

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So a friend bought an 06 charger, 6 cylinder engine, 75,*** miles... To my opinion i think she couldve got something way better for that kind of money... What do you guys think???... She got it for $11,000...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So a friend bought an 06 charger, 6 cylinder engine, 75,*** miles... To my opinion i think she couldve got something way better for that kind of money... What do you guys think???... She got it for $11,000...
That computer is old.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How do you like the liquid cooled? Does it keep the room temps down that it is in compared to the air cooled? Hard to hook up?

Deezy, does the drive work at all? If so, get a usb drive hard drive reader and plug it into the PC and then the old HD and it will pick it up like another drive and you can copy the info over. As for drivers, just go to the manufacturers website and DL them.

Last edited:

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cloning a dead drive is not easy. Depending on how it died it will be very expensive to save any data off of it. Having a degree in computer science I've tried to recover data and it deemed near impossible witu out having someone with the proper equipment to.do it. If you figure it out, please let me know. As for.the future, I so suggest doing incremental back ups least one a week to protect data.

I do have to say Linux for the win. I'm a mad Windows hater (:
--addicted2honda
How do you like the liquid cooled? Does it keep the room temps down that it is in compared to the air cooled? Hard to hook up?

Deezy, does the drive work at all? If so, get a usb drive hard drive reader and plug it into the PC and then the old HD and it will pick it up like another drive and you can copy the info over. As for drivers, just go to the manufacturers website and DL them.
Thanks fellas.....Not as interested in recovering data as i am getting the OS on to the new drive (simply need internet for magic jack)....Have a buddy bringing by an external drive, and he is going to map it .....Whatever the hell that means....:mrgreen:

jerseyhonda

I love the liquid cool, it deff keeps my comp running at half the temp it did before while it was cooled normally. I heavy game and run the sh*** outa my comp so it needs to be cooled. And it wasnt to hard, would not suggest it for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

--addicted2honda

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have built a few PC's so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to. Plus I do tech support and part of the job is hardware troubleshooting so don't think it would be too bad.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Does Stream processors (or processor cores) mean a lot when it comes to video cards with nearly the same core/memory clock speed?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
EVGA GTX 550 Ti (1GB 192-bit)
Core: 951 MHz
Memory: 4356 MHz
Shader: 1903 MHz
Processors: 192 processor cores
Price: $137

MSI Hawk Talon Attack GTX 460 (1Gb 256-bit)
Core: 810MHz
Memory: 3900 MHz
Shader: 1620 MHz
Processors: 336 processor cores
Price: $175 ($135 after mir)

It's pretty obvious the numbers show the 550ti is the faster card, but every review I read, chart I see, and etc... People keep saying the 460 is the more superior card. Does it have something to do with the processor cores? I mean, the more the better right? But does that play a big role in how much faster it can make the card run?

Oh yea, and one of the features of the MSI card is that there's PLENTY of room for overclock... I'm sort of feeling the MSI card now due to the fact it has a lot more processor cores, and there's still room for OC (most people get the core running around 900-920 on stock air cooling); plusss... After the mail in rebate, prices are right there with the 550ti.

So tell me, what do YOU guys think is the better card??

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get the GTX 460. You'll be much better off.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have built a few PC's so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to. Plus I do tech support and part of the job is hardware troubleshooting so don't think it would be too bad.
It's not a hard process. Just do a leak test make sure you don't have any leaks, and vent the air out.

Make sure to use Non-Conductive Fluid so that if a leak DOES happen in the future, you won't be causing any short circuits or anything. When you chose a brand, make sure it's non-conductive and they use DISTILLED water, otherwise you'll be running the chance of generating algae, such as the Feser Aqua with the Feser Corrision Blocker. When you set it up, also make sure your filling port is the highest point of the cooling system so if air is the system it'll vent out through the filling port and not sit in the lines. Can't go wrong with Danger Den.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Need a little help guys...So after five years of abuse, the hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite finally died....Model M115-S3094...Upgraded from a 80gig to a 320gig...My problem is that i dont have what i need to clone the old drive to the new one. Also, i have misplaced my recovery/drivers cd. Are there any options, aside from purchasing what i need to clone the drives or a new recovery cd?
platter swap

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here's a little rig I'm helping my friend piece together strictly for gaming; let me know what you think!

- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3GHz
- Asus Crosshair IV 890FX
- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 1600
- XFX HD 6870 (x2 crosssfireee)

Planning on pushing the CPU passed 4GHz on water (still haven't decided on kit yet); not bad for a $1000 budget?

Edit: All that's needed is the water cool system & tower/psu/fans; he already has a 600GB rapter drive sitting around that'll be joining the party.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Note: I wish I had some extra cash to build me something nice :(