D16Y7 sporadicly runs rough/misfire, no code

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you got a new fuel pump too? lol. you do it and tell me if it works! thanks!

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
you got a new fuel pump too? lol. you do it and tell me if it works! thanks!
Nah, not a fuel pump. I have injectors, distributor, some cleaner for my IACV, some seafoam to clean my intake some more..... New oil & filter... New air filter... that's about it

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
New distributor, PCV valve, and oil change... It did it as soon as I was pulling out of the neighborhood on the test drive...

Next comes fuel injectors and O2 sensor...

EDIT: I will say... It does seem to drive smoother, and there's probably going to be an increase in fuel economy... We'll see! =)

khrys771

5+ Year Member
possible the fuel pump strainer is getting clogged? maybe debris in the fuel tank?

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
possible the fuel pump strainer is getting clogged? maybe debris in the fuel tank?
Possible but not likely in my guessing and experience... as it's not a constant problem. It's only a sporadic issue. If the problem were more predictable I'd agree...

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
I got my cellphone to record the audio of the engine accelerating as it does it finally. No pictures of the rev counter, to difficult to hold the camera phone + drive + shift.... Buuttt, you can hear me accelerate from a stop.. Go in to 2nd gear, and stay steady on the gas pedal... All of a sudden, 9 seconds in, it kicks in like a bat out of hell... Then does it again in to 3rd gear.. Normally I get off the gas and nobody notices it, but I kept my foot on the gas (not nearly to the floor) to show it at it's possible worst =) Uploading it and linking it soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOMfCgta9Uc

RonJ

Banned
The O2 sensor would not be a good candidate if the problem only happens when the engine is cold.

Did you check the ignition timing with a timing gun after you installed the new distributor?

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
The O2 sensor would not be a good candidate if the problem only happens when the engine is cold.

Did you check the ignition timing with a timing gun after you installed the new distributor?
Ofcourse. It's dead-nuts-on.

O2 sensor would make sense as the sensor is not warmed up yet.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
I don't understand your point. If the sensor has not yet warmed up, then the ECU ignores the O2 sensor inputs, rendering it irrelevant.

True. But it's not a constant cold issue. It doesn't do it immediately after turning the car on. It does it in the first 5 miles of being driven. While the coolant may not be hot, the primary O2 sensor certainly isn't cold. I'm going to try and get a scan tool on it to observe the O2 sensor and see if it is faulty and reading lean it would cause the motor to dump extra fuel that it doesn't have enough air for and explain the fuel economy going to crap and fuel smell once in a while.... Because once I open the throttle further it adds more air and makes all the power back it previously had. If the engines warm and just turned on after a short drive it will do it again sometimes.

RonJ

Banned
True. But it's not a constant cold issue. It doesn't do it immediately after turning the car on. It does it in the first 5 miles of being driven. While the coolant may not be hot, the primary O2 sensor certainly isn't cold. I'm going to try and get a scan tool on it to observe the O2 sensor and see if it is faulty and reading lean it would cause the motor to dump extra fuel that it doesn't have enough air for and explain the fuel economy going to crap and fuel smell once in a while.... Because once I open the throttle further it adds more air and makes all the power back it previously had. If the engines warm and just turned on after a short drive it will do it again sometimes.
I'm pretty sure that the O2 sensor input is ignored by the ECU until the coolant temperature reaches full operating temperature. Are you still getting the O2 sensor code?

Did you ever measure the fuel pressure to test the FPR?

Also, related to khrys771's post, you may want to read this thread.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Fuel pressure comes next. after finding the oil spot in my cap + all the carbon I wanted to eliminate that from the list of possibilities. Everything I do is making the car run better tho, haha...so it's not done for nothing!

Also - a well known Honda technician in the area (owns/drives/built a turbo d-series CRX thats in the 11s and competed in the Hot Rod Power Tour last year) recently bought a 6th gen LX sedan 5spd with like 10,000 miles more than mine and is doing the SAME exact problem. So thank god I am not the only one, lol.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ill try to get a vid of mine doing it so you can see what mine is doing. but that long explanation you gave does kinda make sense. it stalls... then has a jolt of power then runs fine. it will do it once or twice or 3x then go away.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
New O2 sensor installed. Running MUCH better so far. And hasn't hesitated yet after the first 50 miles =)

Raw fuel smell = gone
Gets warmer and faster ----- A more rich mixture cools the cylinders, makes sense.
Idle much smoother and higher
Throttle much more responsive

You guys should see the old O2 sensor. lol.

RonJ

Banned
...it's not a constant cold issue. It doesn't do it immediately after turning the car on. It does it in the first 5 miles of being driven...If the engines warm and just turned on after a short drive it will do it again sometimes.
New O2 sensor installed. Running MUCH better so far. And hasn't hesitated yet after the first 50 miles =)
Raw fuel smell = gone
Gets warmer and faster ----- A more rich mixture cools the cylinders, makes sense.
Idle much smoother and higher
Throttle much more responsive
Congrats. Sounds like the primary O2 sensor was the problem.

The part that makes sense about your O2 sensor fix is that, based on your information, the problem occurred just when the system moved from open loop to closed loop. What's confusing is why the problem was only apparent during the transition from open to closed loop but not when the system had been in closed loop for a longer time. Do you think the carbon build up on the O2 sensor simply prevented it from making accurate O2 readings until the sensor had been heated for a long time by both the heater element and exhaust gas? If so, maybe cleaning the old O2 sensor would bring it back to life?

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Congrats. Sounds like the primary O2 sensor was the problem.

The part that makes sense about your O2 sensor fix is that, based on your information, the problem occurred just when the system moved from open loop to closed loop. What's confusing is why the problem was only apparent during the transition from open to closed loop but not when the system had been in closed loop for a longer time. Do you think the carbon build up on the O2 sensor simply prevented it from making accurate O2 readings until the sensor had been heated for a long time by both the heater element and exhaust gas? If so, maybe cleaning the old O2 sensor would bring it back to life?
I'm not sure. It looked absolutely BLACK when I pulled it out. A good cleaning may have helped it, but a new one certainly is making a huge difference. Check it out, lmao.

RonJ

Banned
Yeah, the sensor clearly has massive carbon build up. You must have been running rich for quite awhile. I would imagine by the looks of the sensor that the cat may be dead, cracked, or clogged.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Yeah, the sensor clearly has massive carbon build up. You must have been running rich for quite awhile. I would imagine by the looks of the sensor that the cat may be dead, cracked, or clogged.
Or missing :lol::lol::lol:

It was cracked, I replaced it with a longtube header, and think I cleaned the O2 sensor when I reinstalled it in to the replacement header. Obviously, it didn't do much of anything.... I cannot remember if I cleaned it or not tho --- my exhaust was being a complete pain in my ass....

It makes sense why seafoaming the engine would always help it, probably cleaned it off a little bit then it'd have carbon build RIGHT back up on to it...

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Final update:

Last tank of gas BEFORE new O2 sensor: 27mpg
First tank of gas AFTER new O2 sensor and resetting ECU: 32mpg

Not bad, 5mpg increase in sub 25* F temps with warmup time in a sedan... =)